Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork and... snow in Seattle!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I threw a 6 lb pork shoulder on the Egg last night around 8 PM after stabilizing the dome temp at 250. It was slathered with mustard and rub over an inverted plate setter and a drip pan filled with coke/water mixture. [p]After I got the dome temp stabilized at 250 I fussed about whether or not the fire would go out for quite some time- I had started the fire from underneath the firebox instead of on top of the lump and was worried the fire would smother itself.[p]At around 1 AM with the dome temp stable I poked at the fire one more time and decided I would just go to sleep and trust in the Power of the Egg. Figuring the diminishing amount of lump would require more air I actually opened the lower vent a *smidge* more than would hold 250. Then I went to sleep.[p]I woke up at 8 this morning to an amazing sight- a rare snowfall in Seattle! Totally unexpected. I imagined that the fire would have been out for a while but when I went to check the Egg was still chugging away in the snow like a champ. The temp had actually increased to 275 and stayed there![p]It is now coming up on 14 hours of cooking and the temp of the shoulder is 195. It looks great. I am right on target for feeding my lunchtime guests.[p]I have to say, everytime I cook on my Egg I am more impressed with its strange powers over meat and the elements. Hopefully my guests will be impressed too- they are in the market for a grill :)[p]I will let you all know how the PP turns out.[p]-Skooter

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Skooter,
    Good job. The poke of the fire before hitting the hay seems to be the magic trick. A little shake of the coals to get good contact of the burning coals seems to do the trick I've found.
    Sunny and 40 here in Wi. today. Raking up the yard before it gets too warm. Spring just around the corner I hope.

• Skooter,[p]Hehe, we're *almost* on the same wavelength Skooter![p]I too am in the Seattle area (Sammamish), and was just about to toss a butt on the egg last night, but decided against it for time reasons.[p]Enjoy! I'm sure your guests will be eyeing the egg in no time... [p]bc

• bc,[p]Glad I got the pork cooked last night- the weather here is freakishly cold today.[p]The snow isn't sticking right now in Kirkland, but I'm sure on the plateau you are in for a rough night if you have to drive anywhere. Well, at least there will be good skiing up in the mountains tomorrow, right?[p]-Skooter

• Painter,[p]This was only my second attempt at pp and I was thrilled at the results. The fire poke will now become my goodnight kiss to the Egg everytime I do an overnight cook.[p]Enjoy that sunny midwest weather. [p]-Skooter
  • Skooter,
    Well, it all turned in to rain, so we're fine up here on the hill.[p]Hey Skooter, can you send me your email address? I have a quick qestion for you "off the boards".[p]bc