Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steaks-Time and temp

wrobs
wrobs Posts: 109
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just informed me that I was cooking Flat irons tonight and needed to start NOW because our daughter has 'plans'... first time doing the Flat Irons and need temp and approx. times ( med rare) I would normally scan the forum cause I know these get talked about alot but I'm kinda in a pinch...
I'm off to fire up the Egg... I'm confident ya'll will bail me out. LOL
Thanks all,
Robert

Comments

• Hi Robert,

I made them for the first time recently and on the advice of Rick's Tropical Delight and TRex, I marinaded them for a couple of hours in 1 part each balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and Worcestershire, added a pinch of brown sugar and a couple cloves of minced garlic. Even an hour marinading would help.

Then seared for 90 seconds per side, rest while the egg cools to 500 and put them back for 3-4 minutes per side.

They were delicious!

Hope that helps,

Patty
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly is a Flat iron steak?

John
  • wrobs
    Hey Patty,
    Thanks for the quick reply... I had made up a lightning fast marinade similar to what you mentioned but didn't quite have an hour... I will be putting them on in a few minutes.
    I hope they are good... my wife bought them after someone at her work mentioned how good they were. I had been wanting to try them for awhile. I just didn't realize it was going to be dropped in my lap in the middle of a playoff football game!!!!
    Robert
  • I forgot to mention we were told to cut them against the grain. We did and they were wonderful. :laugh:

Enjoy,

Patty
  • Hi John,

They are really good eats! :P

Here's a link:[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak] I hope that works - in case it doesn't try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak

Patty
  • Just trying to see if I can get the link icon to show.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak

Guess it pays to read the help section!

Patty
  • wrobs
    Just finished up dinner of Flat Irons, baked taters and steamed veggies. Man o' man, those Flat Irons were pretty doggone good. Seared 'em at 650 for 1-2 minutes a side... pulled 'em and let the Egg get back to 450-500 and then cooked 4 minutes a side. Came out a good medium-medium rare. Didn't see the note about cutting across grain but my daughter just cut each one in half and served it like a steak. No complaints from anyone and more important, NO leftovers! Will definitely do these again but hopefully, with a little more planning.
    Thanks Patty for your help.
    Robert
  • wrobs
    Just finished up dinner of Flat Irons, baked taters and steamed veggies. Man o' man, those Flat Irons were pretty doggone good. Seared 'em at 650 for 1-2 minutes a side... pulled 'em and let the Egg get back to 450-500 and then cooked 4 minutes a side. Came out a good medium-medium rare. Didn't see the note about cutting across grain but my daughter just cut each one in half and served it like a steak. No complaints from anyone and more important, NO leftovers! Will definitely do these again but hopefully, with a little more planning.
    Thanks Patty for your help.
    Robert
  • Do you marinate them in strips and then throw them on the fire or marinate and cook the whole steak(s) and then cut at the table?
  • I've only done them once, and I marinated the steaks and cut them at the table.

At first I thought maybe you were a long lost relative... :ohmy:

Patty
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I have a flat iron steak recipe that is simply to die for guys...don't have time to type it all in now, but it also is marinated with combination of balsamic, maple syrup and other ingredients then topped off with some toasted pecans and blue cheese...didn't know anyone else even ate flat irons!!..will definitely post the recipe tomorrow...when me and the wife unit want somethin different and special, it's the recipe we go to!