Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Night with Butt!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Next step: BUY GURU

its 4:45 am right now and I just woke up to see the dome temp on the egg fell all the way down to 150. The meat has has dropped to 150 degrees. Put the butt on at 5:45 pm on sat. I just opened up the vents hoping to bring some life back to that fire. It sure looks like there is enough lump left and it is not by any means out.

sleepless night in upstate NY.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Hmmmmm Danger Will Robinson Danger..

You said the meat is down to 150? Any clue how long it's been below 165?
  • could on only been a few hours judging by time I went to bed.

Anyway, turns out the egg was in fact out of lump. I was wrong. Im just throwing in oven for rest of cook i think.

Internal temp of butt is now only 145. Is throwing in oven ok at this point?

Tired and frustrated and its freezing outside to try and restart this sucker.

Need a guru I think
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    HOURS is not a good thing. However, it is your choice. Think about who you are feeding this too. USDA says 6-7 hours in the danger zone before it's unsafe.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    What was temp when you crashed and what time was that?
  • Tooms
    Tooms Posts: 8
    Options
    the meat was about 144 degrees when fire went out.

I put in oven already. IS this bad?
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Putting it in the oven at this point is good. Will get temp up faster than trying to get Egg back stoking at this time of morning. The problem is how long the fire was out and temp on meat not climbing.
  • Tooms
    Options
    My guess is two hours.

What are the side effects of temp coming down like that then trying to reheat.?

It is already back up to 177 in oven now
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Nothing if you are sure it was only two hours.

Otherwise you might find yourself staring at the water in the toilet :sick:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    If the Egg temp was 250 degrees or so and the meat temp was 150 and climbing as stated in original post AND thangs only went south for you in a 2 hr period I would eat it. I would personally eat it if it had been 3 hrs as long as the temps mentioned above were satisfied. Egg should have maintained temp and meats for 30 min or so after you crashed. But thats me.
  • Tooms
    Options
    sorry to post about this again and beat this post to death, but when I went to bed the egg seemed to be stablized at 250 and the meat was climbing at that point to about 170 or so. When I woke up the meat dropped to 150 along with the egg at the same temp. This was no more then three hours and more likely 2.

what are the side effects if the meat continue to drop for too long a period? but then reheat later in oven
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    You were above the danger zone (40-140) the entire time. Don't worry about it.......you're doing great! You may want to get a Guru some time in the future.
  • Tooms
    Options
    great. Thanks for the help

It is actually done. Its reading 200 so Im gonna put in foil and wrap in blanket for an hour or two.

It is for a a group of 6 to eat so ill act as guinea pig and eat it before I go. what ill do for good bbq

Need to read up on the "danger zone for future" thanks again
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    Guru won't work if you are out of lunp - load her up baby!!!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I know it's kinda late, but you'll be fine. Even when the meat dropped to 150, the colagen is still breaking down (and you are out of the danger zone). Keep it going one way or the other....oven or cooker, and cook it til it's tender. Then enjoy!
    Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ