Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help! - Mold on table!

JasonJason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I did something very stupid. After cooking on my lg BGE I did not replace the cover. It started raining later that night and the next morning I covered up my egg and table (still raining- stupid thing #2)and forgot about it. When I went to cook the following week I discovered the mess - lots of green mold on the table. [p]Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions on cleanup?[p]Thanks in advance![p]Jason

·

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    One gallon of water and one cup of bleach should do it.
    ·
  • Jason,
    If it is on the table a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide should do the trick. Just spray it on, scrub it down, and wash it off. Cheaper than bleach and less smelly too. I received an e-mail about the wonders of peroxide from a great egger. If it is the egg that is moldy, then a 400 deg fire for 1 hour will clear that up.[p]Mike "Always learnin on the puter" in Abita

·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    Jason, A mild solution of bleach/water (10/90) should kill what you've got. Spray it on, let it sit for a while and then rinse with water. If that doesn't work, use a stronger bleach solution (perhaps 20%).[p]Rascal

·
  • Jason,

Was your table treated with some sort of poly or was it natural wood.

Greg
    ·
  • JasonJason Posts: 45

Thanks guys - I'll give it a try.

·
  • Just read an few articles about this. Apparently the safest and most effective way to kill bacteria (I figure mold would qualify) is a combination of peroxide and vinegar. Two seperate spray bottles and it does not matter which one you spray first.

http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arch/9_28_96/food.htm
    ·