Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt - At 10 degrees....advise

littlemama
littlemama Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice. I live Massachusetts and the temperature tonight is going to be around 10 degrees. It's been a while since I've done a slow cook on the Egg. My gasket was gone, so I couldn't get temperatures in the 200's. Will the temperature outside affect anything? It's a 9lb butt..any advise would be great!

Comments

• Ernie
    Ernie Posts: 16
    littlemama, Donno why if your gasket is gone you couldn't get more than 200°. Shoulda been the other way around. Anyway, get your holes all cleaned out, stoke that baby up to the top of the fire ring, big pieces first and run it up to about 300° dome and let 'er rip. Should be just fine. Wind may be a problem. Good luck, ern

• ernie,
    Air leaked where I should have had a seal. You could see the smoke going out the back of the egg & in the front...but it's fixed! :-) How long would I let it cook at 300? I'm use to cooking it around 230. It's a 9lb pork butt.

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    It's warm in Mass!

Cold and wind = more fuel, and drafts open more than you're used to.

But cold and wind don't really bother the Egg.

Have a good cook!

~ Broc
  • Ernie
    Ernie Posts: 16
    littlemama, 300° dome should get you about 240° to 250° grid. That's where I cook 'em. 8 to 10 hours. If you get done early, I'm shooting for 195° to 200° internal, just wrap in foil and a big towel and put 'em in a cooler till meal time. Be nice 'n hot. I've had 'em too hot to handle after 3.5 to 4 hours stored like this. If you want to cook at 225° grid, 275° dome, it'll take a couple more hours. At any rate, these figures are in the ball park, your roast will be great! ern

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    If this is your first roast --

Ernie's advice to wrap in HDfoil and towels, and stash in the "cooler" is just as important as the cook in the Egg. Try to finsh the cook early enough to give the meat at least an hour [three is better!] to mellow out before you serve it up!

~ Broc
  • The temperature stayed at 240-250 all night...WOOHOO! Thanks guys for the advice. It's wrapped in foil/towel and just waiting for the game. Thank you!!!