Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heads up on that new spring hinge!!

DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got thru installing that new spring hinge on my BGE. I took the holddown clamp off of it, and tried to lift it for the first time, and got an unwelcome surpise.[p]My egg is sitting inside a BGE table that I ordered about 3 months ago. It's sitting on a 2-inch thick patio stone so that the top of the bottom half of the egg rises about 2 inches above the table. Well, with that new spring hinge, two inches is not nearly enough. When you lift the lid, the hinge pivots downward and contacts the wood of the table.[p]I got either of two choices: Returning the spring hinge and get my money back, or . . . take a dremel tool and grind a couple of notches into the table so that the lid can lift all the way.[p]What a bummer.

Comments

• DavidR,[p]Or you can mount it upside down. I've thought about upgrading as well, but I really don't want to have to raise the egg that high above the table surface.[p]SDBelt posted some pics a while back about this same thing. We do know from BGE that this is **NOT RECOMMENDED** (and therefore, you should never ever do it) as it shortens the "holding length" of the spring. But it may be an effective workaround for you.[p]- Mike[p][p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    DavidR:[p]How about another stone under the egg?

• AZGator
    AZGator Posts: 24
    DavidR,[p]Another option may be to place thick patio stone (or two) under your egg to lift it high enough for clearance.[p]Paul
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    DavidR,
    I had to add an additional split firebrick under my egg and cut off the 3/4" thick boards of my table top directly under the hinge...I personally didnt see this as a problem..if it isn`t worth that to you..by all means return it..it was well worth the customization for the ease of use of the new hinge..IMO[p]Wess

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    DavidR,
    I put the new hindge on about a month ago, it is the greatest since the Egg itself.
    Modify your table, you will love the new hindge.
    B D

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Charcoal Mike,
    The hindge does not work properly when installed upside down.
    Someone at BGE posted a while back about that and warned not to mount it upside down.
    B D

• Big Daddy,[p]Yea.[p]That's why I said "We do know from BGE that this is **NOT RECOMMENDED** (and therefore, you should never ever do it) as it shortens the "holding length" of the spring. "[p]:-)[p]To quote the BGE post, they state:[p]"By installing the S.A.B. upside down you counter that effect, and reduce the range of motion that the lid will hold itself open. " [p]So the way I see it, as long as you are aware of the consequences, you can mount whichever works best for you. Just don't call BGE when something breaks and you want a free replacement.[p]Here's the link to SDBelt's ORIGINAL test - the one that BGE later said was not recommended. [p]- Mike

[ul][li]Archived Message[/ul]
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Just for completeness, I do prefer the hinge mounted correctly, and I would make table changes to keep it this way.[p]--sdb