Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The journey begins

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings to all the eggnuts ..... I had thrown out a post at the end of last year, describing myself as a 48 year old father of 4, ex Marine, successful businessman and somewhat attractive (in my own mind at least) ...... and so totally useless as a cook that I quite possibly could screw up cold cereal. I asked if this was a permissable forum to ask what I'm sure will be the most assinine, idiotic, disturbing, and concerning questions related to grilling ,specifically, grilling with the egg, as I made the decision that in '08 I wanted to learn how to grill.[p]The response was overwhelming, emotional, heartfelt, humorous, and so supportive, that I have made the decision to purchase the holy green egg.[p]Here is the first major question: Which size do I get ??[p]My goals are as follows: [p]a) Be the chief chef on the weekend -- grilling food that will feed the aforementioned family of 6 not only for that weekend, but also have enough quality leftovers to last till the next weekend.[p]b) When I gain some confidence, I would like to entertain and feed the guests with food grilled on the egg. I am thinking the most we would have over here would be 8 - 12 people (however, if we get the backyard redone to include tables, could be more at some point).[p]3) In addition to best size, what are the best accessories to get ?? Ideally, I would just as soon stick with the stuff that the egg company makes: that way I just go to one store [p]Assume budget is not an issue.[p]Am SO looking forward to the journey, many thanks in advance for those who feel led to lead me thru it ...... when you enter the pearly gates there will be extra jewels in your crown for your kindness, compassion, and mercy.[p]Thank you in advance, may the grilling begin.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Michael the Challenged,
    If budget is not an issue, I would get a large and a small, both. You can cook 2 different things at the same time at different temperatures. You get more capacity, but can cook on the small when the meal is small. You can sear on the small with less charcoal, and the small is also almost portable. If you want to just start with one, I'd get the large. You can learn how to cook on the Egg and then think about a second Egg later after you are an Eggmaster! Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Greetings!

LBGE is a good starting point. That will give you the most bang for the buck, especially if you will be cooking in large amounts. Plus, I think that the LBGE has the widest range of accessories available.

Here are some recommended accessories:

1. Plate setter: gotta have this to do some indirect cooking, as well as for the pizza thing.
    2. Grate extender: really nice addition, and allows multi-level cooking for even more things to be cooking simultaneously.
    3. Ash tool: gotta clean out the ashes to maintain good air flow.
    4. An instant-read thermometer of sorts. I went with the Polder at linens and things for about $20.

That should be good to get you off the ground. Welcome to the EggNation, and we look forward to hearing about your journey.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Good advice from both those eggheads. Several of our members have really great web pages that are all about cooking on the egg; some great recipes; and just some interesting stuff.

Naked Whiz has one at http://nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm which is a must read and reference. Put it at the top of your bookmarks. There's all kinds of stuff there to learn. I'd say after you buy your egg, it's the first place you should go to get lots and lots of questions answered.

Welcome aboard, and we all like pictures of the food you've cooked. We look forward to your participation.

Happy Egging.
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Options
    After what you described, my thoughts are that the large would best fit your needs. If money is no object, would you please by me a medium for my sage advice?
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Options
    I would second the advice the Whiz gave, that is the set up that I have, adding a small almost 3 years after my initial purchase of a large. If the cost is a concern go with the large, it is very versitile and while you are learning the ropes start saving because you will want to add a small later. The large ( as all eggs ) is very forgiving and you can cook for as little as one and as many as 12 and probably more. Take the dive man you won't be disappointed, you will find yourself asking why you didn't do it sooner and before long you will be known as the King of the Q on your street.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Very intelligent Questions. The answer is alot more simplified. Jump in naked with both feet & you will be the grillmaster of the neighborhood with all the help of the good folks at this forum. (no questions unanswered). A large is a good start but with no budget constraints you will own much of the egg family sooner than you think. Welcome to the world of EGGING.

Pat
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that's exactly what i'd recommend, FWIW
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I have the Medium. Love it but just me and the wife 80% of the time and never over 6 total. Way to small for you. Never seen a cook on the XL but it is SOOO BIG I thank excessive use of lump and keeping controled temp would be harder when just cooking for a few. Got to go with the large/small combo. I am all ready eyeing the small myself to go with my medium. Before you buy it is cheaper to decide if you are going with a wood table to set the Egg in or the nest. If not going with the table be sure and get the nest and Egg mate. Try to decide b4 you buy as the nest and mate will be usless with a table. Platesetter ,ash tool and good thermometer. The kind that have a cable where you stick probe in meat and run the cable under lid of Egg to a recieving unit. That way you can tell the meat temp with out opening the Egg to look. Home Depot has one by Charm Glow I have been using for 6 months that has a complete remote reciever that you can take in the house with you and see temp for about 35 bucks. Good luck and welcome to the Egg Farm. :)
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Howdy!

There's no such thing as an ex-Marine who asks the "most assinine, idiotic, disturbing, and concerning questions related to grilling." That's already been done by us ex-Army guys --

Side Note: I cannot tell a lie! I have never been "in" the Army. I was a 98G [Russian] in Berlin during the 60s... which is to say I wore fatigues at work, but other than that, the Army paid me to travel through Europe and have a blast! I wouldn't trade those 6 years for anything!

I have a Medium, and this past summer my deck has become the center of the neighborhood with very frequent cooks... and I have prepared the entrees for as many as 40 at a time. This Christmas I cook for 150 on the Medium -- it was a big timing challenge...

If I could start all over again, I'd start with a Large. Since it looks like I'll be doing a lot more cooking for large groups, I probably should have gotten a Medium as my second Egg -- but instead I got a Small.

With a Medium and a Small, I have a lot of bases covered. But, as Whiz has suggested... a Large and a Small [or Medium] can control a wide field of fire!

Welcome! Great to have you on board, Amigo!

~ Broc
    Ex Sp6E6P3
    Now a Geezer...
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Michael the Challenged,
    Welcome. That's what they told me not so many mmonths ago. You will be the envy of the neighborhood once you figure out this big green egg. Others have posted replys on the new forum. I thought you'd to see the responses so I attached a link to them. Ask all the questions you'd like and I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers.[p]Short answer from me. [p]Get the Large
    Get a plate setter
    A grid extender will allow you to cook more than one level.
    An ash tool
    Some type of thermometer. Polder, Maverick, Oregon Scientific, Thermapen.[p]
    Good Luck

[ul][li]Answers to your post.[/ul]
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    Michael the Challenged,
    I totally agree with "The Whiz"! We purchased our first (large) last May and by October were rolling in a small! My husband and I both cook. He is the firemaster and I provide technical and culinary assistance :) You see, I read the forum and then tutor afterwards. ha! Actually he is a great cook. It is a fun thing to do together and then sometimes it is the quiet times on the patio, just you and your egg, alone with the great smell of food and fire that you will experienc'the alpha state'.
    Good luck and welcome - we have fun here.[p]"It doesn't get any better than this."

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    If you're anywhere near north central Florida, come on down to the Florida Eggfest and pick up your eggs as demos. You'll get the best price around, plus you'll get a fantastic initiation into the vast world of all that is possible on the egg. We're a very family-friendly 'Fest, at a really nice state park, with lots of activities to keep everyone satisfied. Check it out and join us!

Even if you're not in Florida, come down anyway. We've got folks coming from Texas, Arizona and other places afar.

http://www.lazygatorqcrew.com/eggfest

If it were me, and money wasn't of particular concern, I'd get a large and a small. I'd add a platesetter (for both large and small), pizza stone (BGE stone for the largeand 9" deep dish for the small) and raised grid for each egg.

You're going to LOVE it!
  • eggbasket, superb feedback ---- and you have surmised my ultimate goal and agenda ..... to achieve the nirvana-like "alpha state" ---- me, my dog, my cigar, and my egg. . . . . truly, I will have attained "total consciousness".[p]I will be in to the shop this week to get the large for sure, and quite possibly, the small.

• The Naked Whiz, [p]Many thanks, will be in the store to make the purchase.

• Mike in Abita ,[p]Excellent, just what I am looking for !!![p]Looking forward to it ---- will keep you posted.

• Broc --- always remember, Marines weren't paid to think .... just follow orders.

The approach works in the Corps, so why not with Egg Training ?? Just ask the questions, and then execute.

The large and the small sounds like the way to go -- appreciate your participation -- will stay in touch
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks! Been there and done that :)

Nirvana....that was the word that I couldn't think of.. ha! All I could think of was Minerva...Isn't that someone's Aunt?

And yes, my dogs like it too. They bring the bark and I bring the wine.

Must go - getting to corny! :silly:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Go in peace grasshopper.
    P.S. Post pic's ;)

Welcome
    Pat
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Michael the Challenged,
    Check out the website below. The naked whiz is to modest to link to his secret kingdom! I give you the entrance to the Wonderful Wizard I mean Whiz. You will be an egg master... ugh Egg-head in no time!!!
    ~Pharmeggist

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • so tonia --

when exactly is the florida eggfest ??