Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket... fat cap up or down?

Options
GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Mornin' Eggers!
I'm doing my first brisket today (put on about an hour ago)... I have read through scores of recipes/directions... I have seen both fat side down saying that the fat just runs off anyway... and then I've seen fat side up.. so that the fat absorbs back into the meat... Mine is currently sitting at fat side up....

thoughts?

Comments

• pop-a- top
    Options
    Did mine fat side down they came out great.
  • mtn egger
    Options
    I cook mine fat down, they turn out great.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The type of cooker and how the heat flows through it dictates fat-up or fat-down (also turning) of a brisket. In an Egg, the heat source is from below, so most folks cook with the fat down so it will protect the meat.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    I always cook them fat cap down on the BGE.
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Options
    I've always done mine fat side down.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    You'll find varying opinions, but I'm a fat down guy.

Braddog
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Fat cap down in the BGE
    In an offset, it is usually fat cap up. Offsets pump a lot of hot smoke/air through the cooker that can result in tasty but dried out meat. Anything that can help to counteract the drying out process, e.g. fat side up, regular basting, injecting, etc., is a good thing. In addition, the heat in an offset is entering the cooking chamber from the side, not so much from below; fat cap up or down makes little difference concerning airflow in an offset. (Yes, I know about tuning plates etc.)
    Meat is much less prone to drying out in the BGE, but you still need to be cognizant of airflow. Placing the brisket in the BGE, fat cap down, protects the meat from the heated airflow. This is especially true at the start of the cook when a good portion of the brisket is sticking out beyond the edges of the plate setter and drip pan. Additionally, if you baste, fat cap down allows you to baste the part you plan to eat, rather than the part you will be throwing away.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Hate to be different hear but I always do mine indirect, fat side up. I’m sure they are good either way but old habits die hard. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.