Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there any benefit to cooking brunswick stew on the BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if the Egg will impart any flavor or is it just the same as doing it in a crock pot? If it's worth doing on the Egg, should I leave the lid off?[p]Thanks![p]

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Beans, soups, stews, all good on the egg. Lid on or lid off. You got a good b'wick stew recipe you would like to share? I could use one.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Bulldog Bob,[p]Lid on, same as the crock pot.
    Lid off, not the same.

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Yes. I use Red's recipe from the site here and it usually takes 2-3 days to do this. I smoke a butt overnight and pull it the next day, bag it, and put it in the fridge. Then I smoke some chicken parts and pull it and do the same. On day three I make the stew using the smoked meats and put the dutch oven right on the grate with some hickory chunks on the fire and let it sit between 250-300 with no lid for a minimum of 3 hours.

On a side note, I was floored when we went to my grandmother's for Christmas Eve last month and had dinner with just our immediate family before everyone got there Christmas day, I brought a butt for us. She had driven across town earlier that day to a place she had eaten BBQ at to buy a gallon of Brunswick Stew and paid $40 for it!!!
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Bulldog Bob,

I enjoy "Mrs Wilkes" stew...Savannah, Ga.

You can use your favorite bbq sauce. I also add diced tomatoes and lima beans.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 pounds chicken or pork, or a combination, cooked and diced
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 or 2 tablespoons dried minced onion, optional
    3 to 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite
    1 1/2 cups ketchup
    2 to 3 cups diced potatoes, cooked
    3 cans (15 to 16 ounces each) cream-style corn
    PREPARATION:
    Place all ingredients in a stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover and simmer until hot and bubbly. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and hot sauce, as desired.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Options
    Michael B wrote:
    Bulldog Bob,[p]Lid on, same as the crock pot.
    Lid off, not the same.

Michael right, when I use my dutch oven I all ways with out the lid off.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I have one in my cookbook software. I can't copy nor paste from it, but I can e-mail it to you direct. send me an e-mail address and I'll be glad to share it with you. It's an old family recipe.
  • mitch
    mitch Posts: 25
    Options
    Michael B,
    If you call not being able to smell the stew simmering an advantage, then yes. Personally, I like my house to smell like good food.

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Most people here are looking at how the food comes out, not how the house smells.
    Cooking a stew in the BGE with the lid on the pot will result in, essentially, the same final product as cooking it in a crock pot.
    Cooking that same stew in the BGE with the lid OFF will result in an improved final product.
    If cooking outside in the BGE did not improve on the final results, no-one would bother.
  • BBQster1
    Options
    Of course, the other approach to Brunswick Stew is to chop up your leftover BBQ (brisket, butt, chicken, smoked sausage). Add chicken broth to cover. Add BBQ sauce - don't get it too sweet, worcestershire, hot sauce(franks/Crystal - not Tabasco) and maybe a little cider vinegar if it doesn't have enough tang. The sweet and tang need to balance. For vegetables, I use frozen vegetable gumbo mix and a box of frozen baby limas. Oh it needs a good bit of black pepper. Sometimes I serve it over rice.

Brunswick stew is a leftover dish - don't get to hung up on a recipe.