Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Welcome, Tonto & Walt!

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friends Theresa & Walt have purchased a large BGE. They currently compete as team Smokin Scotsmen with a Lang, which is pretty useless in weather like we are having today - 11° and snowing. They will be firing up the BGE for the first time this weekend.

I suspect that they are lurking so I would like to welcome them to our Egghead family.

Walt and Theresa, if you see this; WELCOME! Please feel free to ask any questions here, no matter how silly they may seem. The answers can all be found here. We've all been new eggers at some point. Have fun.

Julie

Comments

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! A great bunch of folks here and willing to help you.
    Hammer
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    A Big Welcome to Theresa & Walt, congratulation on your new Egg. You're in for a lot of fun
    & good eats. Any questions, come here first, lots of great folks on the forum.

Welcome to Eggland, :)

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Theresa & Walt welcome to the forum and the world of BGE.You will meet alot of nice people here and that's how we became friends with Julie & Steve...Good luck.
    Larry
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome!!! Bring any questions you have right here and someone will jump on to help. Make sure you take lots of pics to share. There will be slight learning curve at first, even though you are seasoned pros. I'm looking forward to talking and swapping recipes and ideas with you! Welcome!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    A great big welcome to Eggville. Like everybody said, alot of good people here.
    If they can make a good cook out of me they can do it with anybody :)
    Ask questions & post pic's.
    Welcome
    Pat
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    there goes the neighborhood! :woohoo:
    j/k

it's pretty cool to see all these bbq'ers with other types of equipment coming over to the egg side! B)

hey julie, are you coming down to kettering in july?
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    Hi Julie -

What did you think of the BBQ 101 class?
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Welcome new Eggers! Mr and Mrs Dog are one of the great egg resources around.... take advantage of them. :~)

john
  • J Appledog
    Options
    Pretty strange at the beginning. I thought he'd never quit talking about himself. Then after he convinced us that he was a total BSer it was hard to believe half of the remainder of what he said. He did mention a few things that got me thinking and wanting to try. Like veal brisket - that's been on my list for a while. And the "cants" (or bolts, as my husband calls them). I sure needed a drink after all that!
  • J Appledog
    Options
    I doubt it. Our summer schedule will depend on when Steve's siblings and renters decide when we can be at the cottage.
  • tonto1117
    Options
    J Appledog wrote:
    My friends Theresa & Walt have purchased a large BGE. They currently compete as team Smokin Scotsmen with a Lang, which is pretty useless in weather like we are having today - 11° and snowing. They will be firing up the BGE for the first time this weekend.

I suspect that they are lurking so I would like to welcome them to our Egghead family.

Walt and Theresa, if you see this; WELCOME! Please feel free to ask any questions here, no matter how silly they may seem. The answers can all be found here. We've all been new eggers at some point. Have fun.

Julie

Thanks all for the great welcome. This is Walt Tonto's lesser half.

As Julie said, it is 11 Degrees cold, wispy snow and am trying out the egg for the first time. Full packer, wood chips and trying to cook at about 240. Amazing how easy to get lit and heated up. I did let it get up to 290 before I tamped it down. Is there any trick to lowering the temp more quickly. Can you 'burp' the egg and let some heat escape or, be patient and let it some down slowly?

Thanks for any insights.
    Walt