Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatched Chix

bayouegger
bayouegger Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nasty weather down here in New Orleans, cold and rainy, but I did a spatched bird tonight.

IMG_0055.jpg

Came out really moist and very good.

IMG_0056.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Nice looking cook.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    "Lookin Good" Yea raining here in Fla. now but supposed to get hot tomorrow then cold on Sunday (All the way down to 52 :angry: ) Feel bad for Molly, Hope her cook goes well.
    Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    52 = cold... I sure wish we were that cold. -3 right now. Hopefully it will snow and warm up.

I keep thinking Molly's temp is going to spike with the vents full open.

Kent
  • FlaPoolman
    My banana trees couldn't take that. Just picked some today.
    Any good ideas for them on the Egg?
    Pat
  • Sure, Bananas Balinese. They may be in the recipe section or on Tim M's site: http://www.tm52.com/bge/
    The Naked Whiz
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This works for me in Melbourne Fl.

Dessert, Fruit, Richard

Here is one way I like to do bananas, peaches, pears and apples, pineapple rings or wedges..

Preparation:
    1/4 cup Turbindo sugar.
    1/2 cup Pecans, Walnuts, Macademia, Almond or combination, Coarsley Chopped
    1/4 cup Coconut Flakes, Coarsley Chopped
    4 Tbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 oz Gran Marnier, Amaretto, Myers Rum, Orange or Banana Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, (Optional)
    Whip Cream to Garnish

Procedure:
    1 For an interesting dessert, take the coconut flakes, nuts, turbindo sugar, melted butter, and mix with a little, (your choice) gran marnier, amaretto, or liquer of choice or orange juice. Mix into a thick paste. Cut bananas in half lengthwise with skin on,(skin is great after heated) peaches or pears. After the main dish is cooked and the BGE is being shutdown. I place the fruit on the grid (skin on)with the mixture covering the fruit and turn the puppy off. 15-25 minutes later, after the main course is finished, the dessert is ready. Top with blueberries, raspberries,whipped cream, ice cream or whatever you prefer.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 02/22/07
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    looks great!!1 ;););)

i like spatchcocked better than beer in the rear... unless time is short(takes too long to wait for the chicken to dry, but i guess i could use a towel to dry it....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    Thanks TNW. the link to the recipe was outdated but enough info on the main page to give it a try. Just pulled so have 2 weeks to tweek it.
    Thanks Again
    Pat
  • FlaPoolman
    Well if that works for you in Melbourne Fla, It should work for me in Melbourne Fla. :laugh: Just off Sarno rd.
    Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    Banana trees - Now that is just plain old mean... LOL

I was in Florida many years ago and went over to an orange orchard and got a fresh orange off of the tree, heck that was when IBM first rolled out the IBM PC. That was pretty funny all those IBM white shirt, red tie and wing tip shoes proudly showing off their Monte Blanc pens, the cheap black plastic ones, but they were Monte Blanc.

However, it didn't take long before everyone started to dress and act like the IBM'ers, down to the black pens.

Those IBM'rs just didn't now what to do or how to deal with all the lowly sales people that were now selling their personal computers in reall businesses.

That was so long ago it seems like a different life.

After the stroll down memory lane, anyway, man-o-man that was orange good.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Does this help?

Bananas, Baked Balinese, Christine Hurn

Bananas halves spread with mixture of coconut, butter, brown sugar, nuts and brandy. Then, Egg'd to perfection and topped w/ ice cream and whipped cream.

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Butter (room temp; not melted)
    3/4 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
    1/2 cup Walnuts or Pecans, finely chopped (pieces size of small pea)
    3/4 cup Coconut (sweetened, flaked)
    1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    1-2 Tbs Liquere of Choice (brandy or rum seems best)
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 quart Vanilla Ice cream
    1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped and chilled
    8 Bananas, large and Yellow, w/a little green on skins

Preparation Directions:
    1 Put grid in Egg.
    2 While Charcoal is ramping up to 350 F temp, stir together butter, brown sugar, walnuts, coconut, vanilla, liquere, and cinnamon in medium mixing bowl until well-combined. Note: this topping may be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
    3 Cut stem ends off bananas. Carefully cut bananas into even halves lengthwise. Do not peel them.
    4 Place cut bananas on baking sheet, skin side down.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Spread topping on banana halves, allowing about 2 Tablespoons per banana half.
    2 When bananas have been topped and Egg is at 350 F, place halves on grid, skin side down, leaving ½ inch space around each.
    3 Close lid. Top vent should be quarter way open. Bottom vent open about ¼ to ½ inch. Temp is forgiving with this recipe but should keep a range between the 325-350.
    4 Cook 17-20 minutes. Finished bananas will pull slightly away from sides of skins and coconut will be slightly crispy. Skins will be dark brown. Do not let coconut blacken. A little charring around edges is okay.
    5 Remove bananas with long spatula. Allowing 2 halves per serving, place on plate and top with scoop of ice cream, dollop of whipped cream and an additional dusting of cinnamon, if desired.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Before spreading topping mixture, if it seems loose,add more coconut.
    2 Use firm bananas for best results.
    3 Use of wood chips is not a good idea; heavy smoke taste to be avoided.
    4 Banana halves closest to edge of grid will cook a little faster.
    5 Nuts must be finely chopped to spread properly.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Dessert, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Christina Hurn (aka Bambi) hurn@worldnet.att.net

Source: BGE Forum, Christine Hurn
  • Good lookin chickie. It hasn't started to rain on our side of the lake yet. Waiting for it though.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    You should be according to THIS ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    bananas%20on%20icecream.JPG

This isn't as fancy as what some of the others have posted, but it's great if you're lazy like me. :side:

http://houseoffaulkner.com/bananasicecream.html

Cheers,

TRex
  • FlaPoolman
    Those look great, Thanks. As the bananas all come ripe at the same time I may be able to try all the recipes at the same time. If I can stall them maybe I can bring some of the cooks to the Fla Eggfest.

Pat
  • Grandpas Grub
    That looks gooooood.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've got a great one for banana-nut-cranberry bread!

Rascal