Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Time for Boston Butt?

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading a varying degree of cook times for a 6 pound butt. Mostly I have seen that it takes about 2 hours per pound which would translate into about 12 hours. But I have also seen on other websites (Example below) that it could take as long as 18-20 hours for a Boston. Im a bit confused now.[p]I realize it is done at around 200 degrees, but what should i expect in cooking a BB at 225 dome temp in terms of length of cook time?[p]Also,[p]should I cut the fat off the top or just cut groves in the top to allow the smoke and rub to better penetrate?
[ul][li]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[/ul]

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if this is your first time cooking one, it is far easier to hold the dome at 250 degrees and shoot for 12 to 14 hours. the differences in times are more likely due to temps as 15 to 20 degrees makes a big difference in a low and slow. there are the odd ball butts that take longer. raising the temp to 250 isnt going to affect the final product, but the fire will be more stable during the cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • It is my first time. I have had the egg for over two years now and never once have I done a butt.

Long weekend for me, plus people coming over for the games, so I sayed what the heck. I think I will cook at 250. Im used to stabilizing at that temp when cooking ribs indirect. Plus I dont have a GURU which sucks so I know ill be up all night chekcing the fire.

Im real nervous about this but im sure ill make it thru it ok.

What about the fat on top. Cut that off or grove it?
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    toomsdpt wrote:
    I dont have a GURU which sucks so I know ill be up all night chekcing the fire. Im real nervous

T, If it were me, I would opt for the "quick" cook as described here with photos...

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=392008&catid=1

And note the final message in the thread has a photo of a serving.
  • Hugh Does Cue
    Options
    Score the fat about half way deep in cuts about 3/4 inch appart. Do it both directions to make for a checkerboard pattern. Cuts should be deeper towards the edge of the roast which will prevent pressure making the meat want to curl.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Fishlessman is right, 250's easier to hold for the length of the cook. The good news is that butt is one of the most foregiving cooks you can do. I use the 2 hrs/lb. as a rule of thumb to estimate completion time, but ultimately you should cook by temp. It's done when it's done. I'd plan for a 12 hour cook for a 6lber and then pad that by 2-4 hours since you can hold one for a few hours before serving easier than you can speed one up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Braddog
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    I understand being nervous about your first overnighter but as long as the butt has been on the egg and the fire has been stable for a few hours before going to bed, you will only need to check it every 3 hours or so.
    Gurus are great for getting a solid night's sleep but they are not essential for a succesful overnight cook.

Fishlessman is right on when he says to cook at 250. Cooking any lower will risk choking the fire in the middle of the night and 250 cooks a butt every bit as good as 200.

I've been cutting the fat cap off to get more bark. There's so much fat in the butt, it won't dry out without the cap..... and bark is goooood.... good luck!

john
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]There are some responses over on the new board, link above in BIG Green Box.[p]If this is your first butt cook then I would not do the fast cook as there are some end result differences.[p]You might take the dome to 265°. Lower temps on the egg are easy but you must have a built fire. Check The Naked Whiz website for more details. www.nakedwhiz.com[p]Cook to temp, not time. [p]Give yourself at least 2 hours after the butt has completed and make sure you wrap and rest. [p]If you put your foiled butt in a cooler or wrap heavily in a large blanket the butt will stay 'HOT' for 4 hours or so. This rest time will add to the goodness.[p]Blanket will absorb smoke flavor unless it is also covered in plastic wrap.[p]Butt cook is easy and always good.[p]Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the ones i get are pretty trim, you can cook it with or without the fat either way is good. i like more bark so trimmed is good. if you have a raised grill get a 7 to 8 pound brisket and put it under the butt, i hate seeing just one butt in the egg, its the same cook with more food and its good practice. if you check on things every 3 to 4 hours, you wont be posting a "is this safe to eat" thread
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I did an 8 lb butt on NYE in about 12 hours at 275* dome temp. I pulled it a touch early, at 195, but it was superb. I'm doing his brother for Sunday lunch.
  • pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    Options
    Can you overcook a boston butt if you leave it on the egg in the 230-250F range? I've only cooked one (10 lb'er) and I cooked it at ~240-250F for 27 hours until I figured out my meat thermometer was reading about 15 degrees below the actual meat temperature. I finally took it off and it was awesome. I suspect there is a wide margin of error when cooking butts.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Like you, I've cooked only one, so my personal experience is limited. The consensus here is that butts are very forgiving, unlike briskets. Low-n-slow, fast-n-hot, it seems that both give good results (within reason). Get it to that 195-210 plateau, and you're eatin' good.
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    pyro wrote:
    Can you overcook a boston butt if you leave it on the egg in the 230-250F range?

Yes. It is possible to over cook it. The meat will loose it's texture and be mushy. You are much better off removing the butt from the Egg when it is done and wrapping it in a couple of layers of HD foil and putting it into a dry cooler with some towels, a blanket or layers of newspaper to keep i hot until you want ot serve it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have cooked a 10# butt at high temps completeing in 5 to 6 hours. Tastes very good, you will find the butt to be a little different. That cook required foiling to prevent over cooking the bark.

I have also cooked at a low temp and at meat temp of 135° seeing it woldn't complete in time for dinner. I then was instructed to kick the dome to 350° (I kicked it up to 375°) and foiled. The butt cooked up through the plateau just fine and I shortened the cook time to meat the schedule. This method ended up just fine. (better than the fast cook).

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the dome temp. Anywhere from 250° (preferable) to about 300° will not cause much problems.

Make sure you cook to meat temp. It will complete when it is ready.

I try to pull the butt when the internal meat temp is 195° to 200°. Remember the rest period is important and the meat will continue to increase temp once pulled from the egg.

Kent
  • tampaegg
    Options
    Well it is the next morning. The Dome temp stayed at ~230 all night. Plenty of Charcoal left. The internal temp of the Butt is ~180. I have no foil on it right now. Should I just let it sit the way it is until kickoff or should I wrap it in tin foil? Also, when you wrap in tinfoil and put it in a cooler, does it keep cooking?