Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beautiful Spring Day!

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RibEye.jpg
<p />It was an absolutely beautiful spring day in Peoria! I walked outside this afternoon and found the purple Crocus - about the same time that I started these two perfect boneless ribeye steaks.[p]Best wishes to all for a great evening.[p]Life is GOOD! :~}[p]
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Gfw,
    Beautiful flower and steaks!Whats your normal fire for steaks?

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Gfw,[p]That's some good looking cow. Thanks for the pic![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Gfw
    Jim R, about 650 dome - tonight was 2/2/5 - typical, but about right! :~}

• Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Gfw,
    Thank I will try that temp, its fun to see that 700+ fire but have had a few less then great steaks.That give you a medium or mediun rare?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]Have you removed the fire ring and have the grid sitting on the firebox?? Looks like it from way back here.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Jim R, for medium rare (which I prefer), maybe 2/2/4 - they were a "variable" 1 inch thick. [p]BTW - not trying to start anything, but that's a Northern Medium Rare - I've done MR in the South and it almost comes well done.

• Gfw
    Tim M, No... it's the original setup. Just looks a little low. Actually I've gotten to the point (except for steaks) where I use the extender for any 300-500 degree cooks.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Gfw, 71 yesterday and 73 today. A little windy but what a great start to the spring. Wife insisted on fried chicken tonight but filets on Friday. Good cookin to you.[p]CWM

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Gfw,
    Was quite warm in central Texas.
    Red buds in full bloom.
    The brief spring is fading and summer is coming...
    Smoke is in the air!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    steak1.jpg
    <p />Gfw,[p]I would have bet $$$ that the fire-ring was gone in your picture. I don't have a medium Egg but I do have a small one and I can see in the picture here that it does appear my fire-ring might be removed as well, but it's not either. It does look deeper than it is. The 2" filets look like hamburgers on my small Egg.[p]I have always wondered what a 2nd fire-ring would do in the Eggs. Maybe I'll stack 2 on each other to see what that will be like sometime (may not even fit). Raising the grid level might sometimes be nice.[p]Tim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    That's not a bad idea Tim. I did a quick measure on my large and a 2nd fire ring would fit squarely on the first leaving a 1/4" gap between the inner egg wall and 2nd ring. The top of the added ring would rise about 1/4" above the lip of the egg.
    My only concern would be how to secure the main grid to the 2nd ring.
    WD[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    WooDoggies,
    I wonder if turning the second fire ring upside down would help?

• WooDoggies
    Hey Spring Chicken,
    I don't remember what the bottom of the fire ring looks like. It's been a while since I assembled. How do you figure? or HDYF?
    WD

• Spring Chicken
    WooDoggies,
    I just went to the cut-a-way photo of the Egg and it looked like the shape flares out slightly at the top. I also saw some little half-moon scoop-outs on the top of the ring but there were none on the bottom. I figure you could reverse the second fire ring and the tops would match perfectly while giving it a slightly cone-in shape at the top to put your grill or maybe even your plate setter. Frankly, I'm happy with just the way mine was originally made. However, I do like having the plate setter when I do a long cook or a pizza. Lets not mess with success.[p]Spring Chicken

• WooDoggies
    Spring Chicken,
    Yeah, not about to pry out the petrified ring to take a look. For now firebricks and grill extender will do for me... keep it simple.
    So, are you flying in for the fest?
    We'll make room for you at the table.
    WD

• Spring Chicken
    WooDoggies,
    Appreciate the offer but too much is going on down here in cow chip country. I'm sure gonna miss it but I will have to be satisfied looking at the photos. Busy as all get out but I did take some time to look at motor homes last weekend. Saw some up to 1/2 Million dollars and some for considerably less. The one I want costs more than my house did fifteen years ago. It will have to be on my Lottery Wish List for a while. Sure would be nice to pull up to the Eggfest in my EggMobile. I may even rig it so's it has some good smelling smoke coming out the stack as I drive down the road. Now THAT would be cool.
    Thanks for inviting me to your honorable table sir. It would be a pleasure to join you. Just not this year. Y'all have fun.

• WooDoggies
    Spring Chicken,[p]Our loss my friend.[p]Yes, that would be something to see. An avocado green motor home with a sweet trail of hickory puttering out of the smokestack doing a power-slide into the fest showering gravel everywhere only to find, after the dust settles, a kind face at the wheel throwing wings, pork chops, ribs and other smoked goodies to all the good little boys and good little girls of Eggville.
    Ahhhhh well, guess we'll have to wait.[p]Definately look forward to sharing a table with ya next year. :~)[p]WD

• Spring Chicken
    WooDoggies,
    You're funny... Your table is gonna be a hoot.