Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb, The 5th food group

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my local butcher got in a load of lamb special order and the person backed out. Running a special on them for 9 bucks a lbs (thats a special :whistle: ?) Any way at right at 20 bucks for these don't want to screw them up. Need a good EASY burn for them. Also can someone give me a link to Trex a top sirloin. Thanks! NEW08001.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Try this for the Trex steak. Sorry I havent done lamb yet
    Pat

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Options
    I've T-Rexed Lamb with great results.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I'm with you on the fifth food group statement. I've TRex'ed with success as well on lamb loin chops that were a solid 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. I'm a fan of the DP Red Eye Express on lamb. If you look at the lamb popcicles recipe at the DP website you'll see what I mean.

Roudy
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    That's pretty fatty lamb; probably cut from the shoulder, the most flavorable part. I would trim those chops as much as possible, S&P&garlic, and grill them over high heat quickly to medium rare. Enjoy!
  • Marvin
    Options
    That's pretty fatty lamb; probably cut from the shoulder, the most flavorable part. I would trim those chops as much as possible, S&P&garlic, and grill them over high heat quickly to medium rare. Enjoy!
  • Marvin
    Options
  • Marvin
    Options
    Sorry forthe triple post. I'm just getting use to the forum.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    OK the chops are a solid 1 1/2 inch not much more but all solid 1 1/2 inch x 3 inch x 2 inch once I trim well. Can I Trex'em acording to directions or will that be to long, which I thank it will?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've become fond of "hot tubbing" before T-Rexing. The last lamb I did, leg center slices about 1 1/4, I rubbed and bagged and soaked for about 20 minute in 130 degree water. Then standard T-Rex sear, just over 60 seconds per side. Brought it right to 140. Wife said it was the best lamb I've ever done.

gdenby
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    So you just did the sear not the rest and then the 400 degree cook?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The "hot tub" period brings the meat up to about 120. The searing time is just enough to crisp the outside nicely, and bring the center up to rare.

As a BTW, I just rubbed with salt, garlic, , some fresh grated lemon zest and black pepper and a dash of sweet paprika. Tasted really nice.

gdenby
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Sounds like a plan seeing as I am Trexing all ready. Thanks everyone! See my what has become a almost daily when I am not working: Tonights Egg sacrifice. Fixing to start it now
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    Lamb is the choice of my slavic ancestors. Don't get fancy. Rub w/ olive oil, DP Red Express is great. Let the lamb sit at room temp for about an hour with the oil and rub on it. It will be a paste and very flavorful. Have no DP, oh well marinate in Italian Dressing, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper with a little granulated garlic. You are good to go. a little of slivovitz while you get the fire up to speed would be awesome. Actually before, during and after the meal sounds like a plan. By the way, I'm grilling lamb and carmelizing some onions to put on my homemade pierogies as I'm typing. . No Slivovitz tonite. Just a cheap Australian shiraz. godd Luck.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Don't know if any one reads back on these older post that fall back but just wanted to say thanks to all. I Trexed them with Hot water bath 1st. Little salt,pepper,garlic pepper and rosemary rubed w/olive oil. Was great!!