Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

leftover leg of lamb

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did the leg of lamb found in the recipe section today (Big Daddy's). Once I got past the 3 Tbsp of floor (sic), it turned out great. Problem is, of the 3 people sharing this nearly 4 lb lamb, one of them (the smallest) wasn't totally crazy about lamb. One of them (the largest) had a stomach weirdness all day and got down about half a piece and crawled back into bed. One of them (the chefess), ate 3 pieces quite happily. But I have about 3 pounds of lamb left. Is it freezable? There is so little waste on it (and getting to be more waist on me if I keep eating like this), that there is no way I can finish it off quickly. Thoughts on what to do with it (no, I cannot UPS it to you).[p]One other wondering. Why do people freak when they see medium or medium rare lamb? What is the deal with expecting it cooked until it is scared to bleat?

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    MollyShark:[p]Medium rare lamb is the best. We have kept leftovers from a leg in a cold refrigerator and used for sandwiches. Just warm, thin slice, place on a sandwich roll with some tzadziki sauce.[p]Tzadziki Sauce[p]1 pint plain yogurt (some use sour cream skip the straining part if you do).
    1 large cucumber, peeled & seeded
    2 cloves garlic minced (crushed in a Susi garlic press)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon white vinegar
    salt & white pepper[p]
    Strain yogurt overnight (really worth this step if you can) in the refrigerator in a strainer lined with cheese cloth. Chop cucumber & drain. To strained yogurt, add cucumber, garlic, oil, vinegar, and salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate one hour prior to serving to allow flavors to blend.[p]Use on "gyros", on the side with leg of lamb, a topping on souvlakia (Greek kabobs), or as a vegetable dip.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    MollyShark,
    It is freezable and does well reheated. Medium rare to medium is great. After reheating it tastes just as good with real mint jelly along with parsley new potatos.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Hiya Molly, how are you...[p]Mop

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    djm5x9, Tzadziki sauce is great stuff used in the manner that you mentioned. It is one of those foods that is relatively easy to make with very cheap ingredients involved, but they charge an arm and a leg for in a store. Hummus is another one. Both better made fresh at home and not much of a dent to the pocketbook either.
    Qfan

• Hooch
    Hooch Posts: 9
    MollyShark,
    Shepard's pie is always a favorite, and is wonderful w/ chopped, cooked lamb.

• MollyShark,[p]Lamb freezes just fine. I make lamb frequently for my husband and myself. Since I usually buy a 3 pound boneless leg, I cut it in two pieces and cook both at the same time. One piece I pull when it is 110 and freeze for another meal. I just thaw and then grill until medium rare. Works and tastes great. Actually, when I use an Adobo marinade, I think the "twice cooked" lamb tastes better than the freshly cooked.
  • mollyshark
    Mop,[p]Doing good! Almost sorta settled in the new house. Had a little concrete pad poured for the eggs and just added a little pool gazebo with a tiny fridge and sink. Summer should be nice![p]mShark
  • mollyshark
    Thanks to ALL for the great ideas. Lambie goes in the freezer tomorrow morning and will try all the possibilities offered. They all sound good. Youse guys are great.[p]mShark
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    MollyShark,sounds like a good place to have a 'mini eggfest'[p]the backyard can handle, what? 12-15 cookers and all our gear...[p]congrats, I hope you are enjoying your new home..[p]Mop