Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Pellets

Options
HotGrillHarry
HotGrillHarry Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used the wood pellets sold at www.bbqrsdelight.com? How do these compare to chips and chunks?

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    They don't. I have tried them in the pre Egg and in the Egg era, they just don't put out the smoke that chips and chunks have to offer. That's just my opinion of course.
  • csc bbq team
    Options
    They have over 15 different flavors. I find that they work great. I wrap them in some aluminum and make sure there are holes poked in the aluminum.

Heeeeee

Scottie
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i mostly use chunks, but i do use pecan pellets for smoking turkey and will continue to do so, with turkey i like the smoke to be on the light side and just give it a couple bursts for flavor during the cook with the pellets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I actually sent out the same post about a month ago.

I heard that they actually are a little more potent than the chips/chunks.

However, I have not tried them.

Give them a try and let us know.

Greg
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    I like them for a burst of smoke, like for pizza, wings or fish.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    i use them with the litttle cast iron pot i bought for under $10 seems to work fine. i used the jack daniels with hamburgers and they were great. i have hickory yet to try. they have so many different kinds of pellets, i want to try cherry, apple and pecan next.
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    I use them for shorter cooks... I used them the other day on cold smoking some cheese. Went with the Savory Herb pellets... Mmm Mmmm Good.

I just use aluminum foil pouch and poke a hole in em.

-Jill
  • csc bbq team
    Options
    also check out BBQr's Delight smokin Stix. I really enjoy using these mini logs...

http://www.bbqrsdelight.com/whatsnew.html

Scottie
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I've used pellets a couple times in this stainless smoker tube. Can't say pipe bomb for threat of those guys in black suites and black suburbans busting down a door. Drilled multiple holes in one screw top. Just loaded it up with pellets and threw it in the lump.

I could not tell much difference between the pellets and chunks, but the tube was fun to play with.....T

127_2757.jpg[img size=150][/img]
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have never tried pellete but tom that is a helluva ides putting it into a piece of pipe. is that galvanized?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    Tom,

Did the tube produce enough smoke? I received a few sample packs of pellets but have yet to try them in the Egg. I did use a pack on a small weber that a friend had at the park but my beverage selection prevented me from paying to much attention to the smoke.

Lazydog B)
  • tjv
    Options
    It's stainless. You can check with larger local plumbing supply houses. What you want are nipples and caps. If they stock stainless nipples, you can get a variety of diameters and lengths. I believe the one pictures is a six or eight inch nipple and 1.5 inch diameter.
  • tjv
    Options
    What up dog! On the tube, I did not think it smoked enough. That is why I went with such a big tube. Maybe I need to try again and pay better attention to what's happening....

Here is the end cap with the holes drilled.
    127_2758.jpg