Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey N.B. - how was the fish?

Options
Teslamania
Teslamania Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How did that fish turn out anyway? I grilled some chicken and chops tonight. Had a mess of baby back ribs yesterday - and a herd of kids from the neighborhood - chomping away. Though I did rescue some for the adults - love them baby backs!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Teslamania,
    The fish was somewhere between good, and okay. Nothing spectacular. Part of the problem was that the fish was not nearly as fresh as it looked in the package. Cooked low over heavy alder smoke for 40 minutes, and finished in foil. Good flavor, plenty of smoke, but higher temp seared fish seems to have the firmest, tenderest texture. Maybe it was just the lack of freshness.[p]Babybacks are great. I am hooked. Been eating spares, but the last couple batches of Cat's babybacks have hit the spot.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S09_29_9917_43_10.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy, all baby backs are great - the best ones look like the ones in the picture - GONE!

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Nature Boy, I probably was fairly fresh, but the strong oily type taste is in the skin. If the skin is left on the fish, the meat inherets the strong taste. I snag mullet with a large treble hook off my pier and knock them in the head (sedative) and filet them right there. They are delicious. Normally you can't eat mullet due to the strong oily fishy taste, but that's because they are left in their skin for several hours or days. All my fish are filleted as soon as they hit the dock. What I don't plan on eating, I freeze in water for later. And for that reason, I can't eat fish at restaurants. It always tastes strong. Fileting a large fish is easy. Don't try to do it like the bass fishing showes tell you. The spine of large fish prevent the filet knife from getting close enough to the lateral bones. This summer, I will do a pictorial to show yall the easy way that will result in complete saving of all the good meat. Like I said before, baked snapper is just above boiled cod on my list of favorite tastes. Better luck next time.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]Thanks for raising the bar with some valuable seafood info. I'm always interested in expanding my cooking knowledge about menu items about which I know little...like most seafood dishes. I only hope I can expand my cooking knowledge at the rapid rate at which my waistline is expanding as a result of this knowledge. It's a terrible catch-22.[p]Cornfed
  • Teslamania
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yes, freshness can be a problem. The eye, I believe should be clear and not cloudy. I don't trust it if it is in a package already. Try Fresh Fields, they seem to have good fish - salmon anyway - better luck next time.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Teslamania,
    Aww, this guy had clear eyes. Stunk like hell when I opened the package. FreshFields is good (actually, I am working on the monthly specials book now), but expensive. I have had their monfish which was great. I will go back next time![p]The big Korean market down the street has lots of great fresh fish too. Not sure why I bought it at shoppers food warehouse. Hey that Korean market has Barracuda=! Ever eat that?[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]You bring up memories for me. Probably the first smoked food I had was mullet. It was at a place in Tampa, Florida on the Courtney Campbell Causeway called The Mullet Inn. I was 10 or 11 years old and the restaurant's slogan was "The fish we serve today slept last night in Tampa Bay".[p]Good stuff mullet. I would love to have some fresh/frozen filets to smoke.[p]Fritz
  • Teslamania
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Can't say that i've ever eaten a shark. What type of book are you talking about for fresh fields?[p]Did have "jelly fish" as a kid. Ever eat that?
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    if u want a sure treat with fish, get utself some fresh salmon steaks...with salt, pepper, and gilweed...smoke with alder for about an hr until the fork can easily lift the fish...Now u just gave me the menu for a week from this Sunday!
    ST

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I have had great results with Salmon. Gilweed huh??[p]Mary's recipe is very nice. I am working on a curry-rubbed salmon, served up with with lemon/coconut.curry sauce. Yabadabadooo![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Teslamania,
    No, barracuda. Not shark! I haven't had shark either. I wonder what barracuda is like...looks like it would be bony.[p]Yeah, I have had jellyfish. Didn't know until afterwords though. Not exactly my favorite food. Alligator tail is wonderful though. Squid excellent. Abalone. Sea Cucumbers. Yum.[p]The book is the specials booklet you pick up when you walk in Fresh Fields. A 32 page color booklet with photos of products, and sale prices. Not exactly a big creative endeavor, but I do it every month, and it helps pay the bills (and for eggcessories, lump and meat!)[p]Working on it right now.
    Seeya
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I think he meant Dill Weed, you dilweed![p]Just kidding,
    Cornfed