Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

barbeque wok weirdness

Frozen Chosen
Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had the day off and was haunting the barbeque isle at Lowe's. They sell an 11" d N/S barbeque wok which is COVERED with holes. Now, what would you do with this? I almost bought one to experiment. Anyone have any experience with this contraption? I thought it might also work as a lower grate, as the bowl shape would resist the tenency to turtle, and there would be no problems with air flow.

Comments

• PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Frozen Chosen,I just picked one up yesterday that was teflon or porcelain(sp?) coated with 2 stainless handles to cook veggies in....Page

• Frozen Chosen,[p]I have two, one round and one square. The round I use as the bottom grate in my small "other ceramic cooker". This allows me to easily remove unburned lump by lifing with the handles and it keeps the holes clean and breathing. Be sure to burn off all the teflon before cooking over it, though. The square I use for stir-frying marinated vegetables. Just marinate cut vegies, drain, and stir fry in the wok over medium-high coals. I have also made fajitas in it. The beauty of the stir fry wok is that food doesn't slip through the grates and you can actually "stir" the food.
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Frozen Chosen,
    Alway collect cooking stuff when the price is right.
    Garage sales will yield all kinds of cool stuff.
    You never know when you might need that "Miracle Thaw". I know I use mine!

• Mardi,
    I LIKE it! No more hassels with trying to scoop out the small remaining lump without spilling the whole thing. How did you burn off the teflon, and 2) have you noticed any fatigue in the metal?

• Frozen Chosen,
    I have one of them thar contraptions that you speak of. I got it a couple of years ago to speed up the "wife's food". She really likes kabobs but doesn't like burning her hands when they are ready to eat. On the same token neither of us liked preparing kabobs, especially in mass quanitities. That's what I found the wok with holes. All we do now is cut up our meats and veggies and toss them in. When everything is done, pour them into a bowl and serve as a kind of hot salad. No mess, no burns, and easy to serve.[p]Matt.

• I also forgot to mention that wife unit like her meat well done. Using the wok thingee to do our psuedo kabobs in is a breeze because I can add the meats for her a little before hand and add the veggies a couple of minutes later, so that they are nice and tender but not burned...[p]Matt.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    ravnhaus,
    I use my Miracle Thaw constantly.
    No Joke,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Frozen Chosen,
    I use my hole-y wok to cook Jerky. I dump the meat in and stir it every 30 minutes. I think that this is GFW’s pile method or a modification of it.[p]My wok is the right size for my small BGE.
    RhumAndJerk

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Frozen Chosen,
    I use mine on the Small for veggies; we love thickly chunked peppers and onions which have marinated in some olive oil, lime, salt, pepper, and chopped garlic. Easy to stir, easy to remove. Shrimp are awesome to prepare on the Holy Wok. Preheat the wok, and dump in the marinated shrimp. Stir a few times, cover between times, and shrimp are done in about 5 minutes; ditto pieces of marinated chicken breast for fajitas. Wok's easy to clean, too. I use mine all the time. Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Frozen Chosen,
    this may be the most used tool I own. Veggies, shrimp, also potatoes. Cut in 1/2 in. chuncks, coat well with an oil, season anyway you want and grill till tender KB

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    RhumAndJerk,
    I wasn't joking! I love mine. Bought another at the Goodwill the other day for $2.[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Gretl,
    I've seen people recommend using a wok to hold lump (sort of a makeshift grate, I guess) and to be sure to burn off the teflon before doing this. So I wonder, at what temperature does teflon burn off and how hot can you get your wok for cooking purposes if it has teflon on it. In general wok cooking is supposed to be done over very high heat, but usually real woks don't have teflon. So anyway, any idea of how hot one can cook on a teflon coated wok?
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Frozen,[p]To burn off the teflon I just piled lit coals on top and burned hot for about an hour. Surprisingly enough, I have found no fatigue in the metal. I have been using this wok (which I purchased for $8.00 at a local housewares store) for over six months.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    I did a search, as I have no clue what a "miracle thaw" is and this was the first thing that came up! Good reading if nothing else.
    Beers!
    NB[p]

[ul][li]Miracle?[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ