Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a recipe for Red Bean soup

Options
Steeler Fan
Steeler Fan Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife wants a Red Bean Soup, not Red beans in something. I found one on Nola.com but man I'd have to pickle pork for 4 days, make andeloulle(sp) sausage before I get started. the worst part is I do not like Red Bean Soup. Therefore if somebody has one please let me know. Thanks-Joe

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    proabably not what you want but here is what i got ;)

Stew, Beans & Ham, W/Cornbread Croutons, Thirdeye

A hearty stew that is hard to beat.
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb peeled and diced tomatoes
    4 fresh thyme sprigs
    8 cups chicken broth
    1 lb arugula, coarse stems removed (can use fresh spinach or other greens.) Arugula is a mustard green with a peppery flavor.
    Tabasco to taste
    1 lb (3 cups) dried Great Northern beans
    1 lb smoked ham shanks or hocks
    1/4 cup bacon drippings (or 1/4 cup olive oil)
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 Tbs minced garlic

To cook beans:
    1 Simmer ham shanks in 6 cups of water in a 3 quart saucepan, partially covered, skimming foam as necessary for 1 hour. Reserve 4 cups of cooking liquid and drain ham hocks. Heat bacon drippings in an 8 quart heavy pot over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion and garlic until soft. Do not burn the garlic. Add tomatoes and thyme, cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, reserved cooking liquid, ham hocks and beans. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 01/02/07

p.s. man we had a good season i think in the end the injurys KILLEDus oh well helluva year for a first year coach. and ben got on track also

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    Tery, thanks but no. She wants soup. If I didn't know better one would think she was pregnant. I think she is ticked off that New England is still in the hunt.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ummm, that sounds good. I am not sure if it is nation wide but there is a 'Soup & Salad' joint out here and on Thursday's they put out a Red Bean Soup and it is really good.

Would love to get a 'kopycat' recipe of that stuff or something close.

Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i believe emerile is a pats fan, your wife might not be happy til the seasons over and preseason games begin

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_32854,00.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    oh well iguess it's time to root on Bret Favre for the sentimental reason. also if the pats loose we will not have to hear the "P" word anymore except for the 72 dolphins ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    First of all, thanks to the link. I "ain't" tellin here that he is a Pat fan. This recipe is too easy, I mean making pickled meat for 4 days and then grinding sausage and then smokong it.

This is my kind a recipe. Thanks again. Joe (I'll have an Iron city for you).
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Taken from the u.s.n. at the pentagon. NAVY BEAN SOUP. Cook up some RED beans not quite done. dice one onion, two carrots real fine, two stalks celery real fine, dice one potato smalish dice. Potato is an option. cook till done. serve with corn bread if desired. omit the sugar. BEWARE OF MASSIVE FLATULENCE when using navy beans. I have never cooked this on the egg, only in a large pot. Hope this helps. Sorry i could not reply early, was at work. miles out.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Forgot to say. Some ham hocks would be ok, or some smoked turkey legs. sorry miles out...enjoy.
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    Yep, that is the recipe I have. You gotta pickle meat for 4 days. Make the sausage. I don't like Red Bean Soup. I was going to make Emeril's really easy soup but no. therefore, we are compromising, pickle meat is out and I'll buy the sausage. ross, Thanks, Joe