Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the difference?...

Options
ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the difference between chicken stock, chicken base, chicken bouillon and chicken broth? Many recipes call for one of them and I wonder if they are all the same?

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    ShortRib,[p]
    Chicken base and chicken bouillon would be "instant." Dissolve in water, fast, simple, and salty. There's a remote chance it tastes like chicken.[p]Store bought chicken stock and chicken broth would be in a liquid form, and in a can or a box, it's probably salty. Tastes more like real chicken stock/broth, sort of.[p]Make your own. Boil chicken bones, carcasses, leftovers and jazz it up with onion, garlic, celery, carrots, herbs and spices. I chop the bones into 1" chunks, as it helps to get the goodness out of them faster. After it tastes like you want to eat the whole pan, mash it up, strain it, and freeze it in plastic containers. When a recipe calls for it... pull it out of the frezer, defrost in the micro, and you are good to go. The only way we do it at my house![p]It only takes an hour, give or take. I save all my chicken bones, parts and pieces. I freeze them, mark the bag, and then pull them out and boil it up as I need it. I always substitute the broth for water in recipes. If I'm making a pasta dish, rice,??? I defrost a container and use it as needed.[p]You could start with raw chicken/stewing hens and boil it for hours... but I guarantee, egged chicken leftovers make a broth that is impossible to beat.[p]Mike in MN[p]

• Hustling Hare
    Options
    Do the same thing with your left over Mad Max turkey carcass at Thanksgiving and Christmas for some super broth.
  • csc bbq team
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]I'll also make them out of ice cube trays. So if you don't need a lot of it, you can pop out a couple of cubes of chicken stcok and use it that way.[p]Scottie