Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guess we struck OIL !!!!!!! but....???

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight as I was preparing some rice and was looking for some Canola oil it dawned on me that in our kitchen we have LOTS of OIL on hand. I started an inventory and found we have a bottle of:

Vegetable oil
Canola oil
Corn oil
Olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil
Garlic flavored extra virgin olive oil
Peanut oil
Grapeseed oil
Macademia nut oil

and suddenly it hit me...WHY??? and what should we be doing with all these oils?

Is there a primer somewhere for what to do with the oil reserves like we seem to have?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I suppose you can use the really old/expired oil and some paper towels to make the nice lump starter thingies.

Someone (sorry, I can't remember who at the moment) posted that a few months ago when I mentioned how much that the BGE starters seem to smoke after the flame goes out on them.
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    Use the peanut oil for deep frying. The grapeseed oil should be used for high-heat sautes because it has a very high smoke point. Macadamia nut oil for vinaigrettes -- try it on a salad of baby frisee, goat cheese, and oven dried tomatoes. The extra virgin olive oils are for dressings and seasoning. The remainder should be used for "general cooking". Be sure to keep the macadamia nut oil in the fridge -- it will go rancid at room temperature.

Matt
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks Matt,

That's handy info. I always wondered why there are so many different ones, and what their specialties are.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    you have no sesame oil, get some of the hot stuff.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bonepile
    Options
    What, no Cod Liver Oil? :laugh:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    LOL - actually I overlooked the bottle of sesame oil as well as a bottle of Chinese pepper sa.te' oil. I also found some 3 in 1 oil, but I believe I know what it's used for!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Q-rious Tom
    Options
    Hmm. . .

All of the above PLUS sesame oil, safflower oil, walnut oil, and truffle oil. (I don't remember ever having to oil a truffle!) :laugh:

Tom