Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Butt/Brisket Cook

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The following is Ed's strategy with a few tweaks by me.

Quick Cook Pork Butt/Brisket

For those of you that can maintain a smoker temp of 350 degrees, here is a method you should try if you do not have 12-15 hours to smoke a Butt. Boston Butts smoked in 5 hours!!!! You can use the same recipe for Beef Brisket!!!!!

Brined for 7 hours then added the rub. I soak some hickory wood chunks in water over night.

Let the Butt come up to room temperature.

2190610264_29c2a95389.jpg

Add charwood to smoker to mid way up the fire ring. Add the soaked hickory wood chunks. Crank the smoker to 350-375 degrees. I let it go to 400 because it will drop off when you load the meat.

BGE set up with plate setter in with feet up, then grid, then aluminum pan holding the Butt resting on a rack.

There may be so much liquid seeping out of Butt while it is resting on the counter that you may not need to add any liquid (beer) to the pan. I added 1 beer.

Put Butt on the smoker and get it back up to 350-375 if it has dropped off lower than that.

At 2 hours Butt looks like it has been smoking for about 8 hours at 225!!!! Add fluid if needed.

2189823123_acb0abd4af.jpg

Cover Butt with foil at 3 hours.

2190611708_f0b2187852.jpg

Cook Butt for about another 1-2 hours.

2189824611_e5e43c3d5e.jpg

I take the Butt off at 4 - 5 hours hours or when it is 195 degrees internal. I cover it with foil and let it rest for about 1 hour. I pull it at about 160.

2190613114_6871900e33.jpg

This BBQ is as good as any I have ever smoked. Don't have 15 hours to smoke? Try this method. Same results!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm intrigued by this method. I've seen this rundown on the other website, but what's your opinion of how it turned out? As good as a low 'n' slow?

Braddog
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Braddog wrote:
    what's your opinion of how it turned out? As good as a low 'n' slow?

B, I haven't done low and slow and don't expect that this method will ever fit our modus operandi.

I can tell you, though, that this pulled pork is flavorful in every respect and every bit as moist as we would ever want.

I know the purists might disagree with me and I respect this; however, my feeling is that this method gets all the smokiness, flavor, texture, etc., etc. that a longer cook would provide.

Given the option of a 15 hour method or this 5 hour method, I am happy with this quicker rendition...even if someone else is doing all the work.
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    OK, I'm curious about this. Tell us about the brine and please tell us why you soak the wood. Also, it might be helpful to know what you mean by "room temperature." It is normally about 70 degrees in my kitchen. Do I wait until the meat is that temp?
    Best,
    WA
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    Bahmanicious wrote:
    Tell us about the brine and please tell us why you soak the wood. Also, it might be helpful to know what you mean by "room temperature." It is normally about 70 degrees in my kitchen. Do I wait until the meat is that temp?

B, Used a packaged brine that just needed water to be added. It contained salt and various spices. It worked well.

I soaked big chunks of hickory wood and added them to the perimeter of the charwood after initially lighting the fire and before inserting the plate setter and grid. Being soaked keeps them from burning up too quickly at the beginning of the cook. I didn't want to remove the pan/grid/plate setter during the cook to add more hickory chunks.

Yes, room temperature is the ambient temperature in your house. It is well documented that it is best to have the meat at room temperature at the beginning of the cook.
  • PapaHarley
    Options
    What was the raw weight of this butt? I tried one as an experiment and because I was in a hurry on Saturday and the taste was good, but one end was a bit too dry. I cooked to an internal of 199. Mine was smallish at 5.8 pounds. I did foil after about 2 hours.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    PapaHarley wrote:
    What was the raw weight of this butt? ... one end was a bit too dry. I cooked to an internal of 199.

P, It was around 6 lbs. This one was not dry at all. The moistness and texture were excellent.

If you didn't brine yours, then this would likely have been somewhat detrimental.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    This quick cooked Butt made a pretty nice dinner with lots left over for pizzas in a few days and for freezing for future dinners.

Tonight BGE Smoked Pulled Pork w/Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce, Cheese Polenta, and Spicy/Crispy Slaw...

2193360645_54e2dd1d44.jpg