Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

orange roughy fillets

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can't seem to find any recipes on this board for orange roughy fillets. Anybody have any they would care to share?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    RRP,[p]I haven't tried Orange Roughy on the egg yet, but here's how I liked them on the gassy.[p]Lay filet on aluminum foil. Cover filet in fresh basil, cover basil with tomato slices, cover tomato with lemon slices. Add a few pats of butter on top of lemon. Wrap whole thing in aluminum foil and cook at high heat. My wife usually cooks this, so I'm not sure about time and temps. [p]Like I said, I have not done this on the egg, so maybe someone else can suggest time and temps to help us both out.[p]--Kevin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RRP,
    I have done it a few times, and like it grilled hot like a steak. I usually make a paste with peanut oil and other goodies. Sometimes cajun seasoning or a good seafood rub and mustard, or Mrs. Dog's jerk goes real well. Or if you like it simple, just add simple seasonings to the oil, and lay it on 15-30 minutes before cooking. 2-5 minutes a side, depending on thickness, and how hot your fire is. A thick filet cut into comfortably-sized pieces (makes flipping easier). Some folks have trouble with sticking, but I usually have pretty good luck...as long as I do only one flip. It also helps to flip as soon as you get good and browned on one side...before the fish wants to flake. Pull it off just when it wants to start flaking.[p]With the thin wimpy filets, this is proabably not a good idea without a basket or foil. But for 3/4 inch thick and up, I have personally not found a better way to cook white-fleshed fish other than hot and fast.[p]Whatever you do, enjoy them and let is know what you did.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Ca-rnivore,
    I've never understood this; if you wrap something entirely in al. foil, what does it matter what you use as the heat source? Why not just use the oven? I am doing fresh swordfish fillets tonight, and will go pretty much as NB describes. I coat with a light oil then grill at 500F for about 4-6 minutes per side, with fillets about 1 1/4 thick. Then serve with a mango-pear salsa.

• Ca_rnivore
    Frozen Chosen,[p]I think you're right about the aluminum foil. I believe that in the case that I described, it is used to hold in the juices from the tomato, lemon and butter. Also, The foil must be acting as a barrier, sort of an indirect cook. I kinda think it may also be steaming the fish rather than grilling, broiling, etc. Maybe I'll try egging the fish in a dish, that way I get the smoke flavor as well as the juices from the "wet" ingredients.[p]--Kevin[p]
  • Ca-rnivore,[p]Hi, just a thought on the subject. [p]A fellow at my work suggested cooking fish in a large split piece of fresh bamboo... closed back together with wire or ? ... sort of a primitive foil cook :) [p]And he also BBQ's chicken or fowel in a fresh coconut shell... you just lob of the top, drain the water, stuff with meat and use it as a cooking vessel.[p]It all sounds like primitive foil.... sort of :)[p]He is Philipino.... and say's it's the common practice there.
    Just though this was interesting.. Happy Egging.. BB

• Ca_rnivore
    BB,[p]Yeah, I saw an episode of "Yan Can Cook" where he cooked rice by placing it inside a bamboo stalk and covering the open end with a banana leaf. Like they say, "neccesity is the mother of invention". Inovative uses of natural resources like this are really fun to see in action.[p]Take it easy,
    Kevin

• Nature Boy
    misosalmon.jpg
    <p />Frozen Chosen,
    Grilling over hot coals really adds a dimension you cannot achieve otherwise! Any possibility of nabbing that mango/pear salsa recipe?[p]Preeciate.
    Cold here now. You guys pretty arctic at this point?
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Nature Boy,
    Sure looks good.
    I'd give it a 10 for presentation.
    Now if I could only judge it for taste!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Nature Boy,[p]Dang boy, If I didn't know any better I'd say you've done a little commercial photography in your past life.
    Very nicely presented. I would have no trouble diving into that dish.[p]Yes, gonna be cold tonight. Down in the low teens with a little breeze. Still won't keep me from drinkin' a couple cold Yuenglings. Yes sir buddy. Heard dat.[p]WD[p][p]

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    ravnhaus,[p]Yeah. what he said.[p]CB
  • Nature Boy
    char buddy,
    Hey, thanks guys. The presentation was easy. Slice some long slivers of green onion with the grain, and chuck em in a bowl of ice water while you take a potato skinner to a cucumber. Strip off the skin but leave an uncut strip between each strip you cut. Clak clak clak with your knife for the slices, then fan it out. Done. By the time the fish comes off, the litte curly Q onions are ready to throw on. A cakewalk![p]Beers onya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Yo WooDoggies,
    Naw. Photography was my "minor" in college, but really just a hobby. This particular shot consisted of laying the plate on the driveway and snapping a picture...LOL. Sometimes the warm afternoon sun is all you need to make a good shot![p]Enjoy the brews..and the evenin'.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]NB, that's a beautiful shot! Makes my chicken breasts with Nantucket rub with a side of smashed taters with S&P and hot sauce look pretty damn normal this evening (though quite tasty, IMHO). What are you, some sort or artist :)[p]Nice job,
    Cornfed

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    NB:[p]I knew that "table cloth" looked familiar . . . But that platter is wonderful looking!

• Nature Boy,
    Hey NB; full break up right now. Temp was into the mid 30's and bright sun for the 3rd day of the Iditarod dog race. The salsa is a throw together, but I'll try...[p]1 mango, peeled and diced fine
    1 pear, the same
    juice of 1/2 lime
    about 4 large mint leaves diced
    1 jalapeno minced or Thai equivalent
    1 T honey
    1T diced red onion
    2t balsamic
    S&P to taste

• Nature Boy
    Frozen,
    Yum. Thank you. That sounds delish, and right up the wife's alley.[p]What a blast it must be watching the Iditarod. Wish I were there. Best I can do is 4 days at 4,000 feet in West Virginia....right around the corner. Cold here now...teens tonight, but they are calling for 70 by Friday. Guess it is that time of year.[p]Thanks again for the recipe.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com