Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Huge Butt

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up what was called a whole  New York shoulder  yesterday that weighed twenty pounds . Put it on at 250 yesterday  at 6:00 pm. At ten this morning it was in the plateau around 160. It is still there now and hasn't gone up a degree. I've never seen a shoulder this size and I don't know if I've been hoodwinked. Maybe they grow huge hogs in New York?Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Longknocker
    Options
    New York...New York..I want to be a part of it New York New York!!! :silly:
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Holy Hogzilla, Steve! That's a big shoulder! Around here I see Boston Butts that average 8 lbs and picnics in the 6-8 lb range. Putting one of each together would make a whole shoulder of around 14 - 16 lbs.

So... at 250 dome most folks are reporting cook time of 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound for a butt. If your shoulder cooks at that rate you're looking at 30 - 40 hours! :blink:

You may want to kick up the temp to get that monster out of the plateau. You could also foil it to speed it up if you're happy with the bark color.

Let us know how it turns out!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Did that fit in a large Egg? -RP
  • Little Steven
    Options
    AZRP and RonL

It fit on the egg with not much room to spare. It's just breaking the plateau now and is at 170. Just putting burgers on the medium for the kids and I'm gonna wait this puppy out. I took pictures of it going on but like the true genius I am, I shoved the wife's Sony flashcard (which is way smaller tthan the socket) into my laptop and it ain't coming out. I've been picking at it and it tastes like shoulder.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    so you are still waiting on that bad boy!!
    after we talked last night i took my last picnic off and started to put the stuff away!! removed the plate setter and put it aside then put the woo back in the the grill cranked up the heat to clean the grill,then i looked down a saw the plate setter all dirty so i decided to put it in as well so when i picked it up, i forgot i had no mitts on!!!!!!! was too concern about putting the digi away i guess. so of course i let it go and to the ground she fell and broke in 2 pieces!! man oh man thank god i have more at the store!! i guess it was bound to happen once!
    mike
    :blush:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Oh thats gonna leave a mark. She's sitting at about 180 now but the bone is twisting in the socket. I'm half hammered from all the Canadian I've been drinking on an emty stomach. Wait wait wait.Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON