Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger advice

RastaEGG
RastaEGG Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't believe that I have never done any burgers on the egg. Does anyone have any burger knowledge that they would like to share.

Comments

• NUman
    NUman Posts: 37
    I've tried a couple different ways but my favorite is to somewhat roast them at 350-400 degrees for about 6-8 minutes a side. They seem to be a little more moist at this temperature compared to higher heat. You probably know this but remember never to push down on your hamburger meat while it's cooking.
  • Thanks NUman, what type of meat and season do you use?
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    fathers_day_burger1_web.jpg

Here's my best advice (thanks again, Mike!):

http://houseoffaulkner.com/cwmburgers.html

Have fun,

TRex
  • Thanks TRex I am off to Publix!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I did some "brick" burgers last night with 90/10 ground beef. Each was about 0.4# and dusted with DP Cowlick. I cooked them at around 380-400 for about 8 minutes a side.

The burgers were taken off and assembled as follows:

* Upper bun (big Sarah Lees)
    * Special sauce (see below)
    * Slice of baby Swiss
    * 2 Slices of smoked ham
    * Burger patty
    * Slice of pepperjack
    * Special sauce (see below)
    * Lower bun

Special sauce is equal parts:
    * Real mayo
    * Brown mustard
    and as much minced garlic as you can stand

Wrap the assembled burgers in aluminum foil and return to Egg, placing a brick or other heavy, oven-proof object on them. Cook for 5 minutes at 380.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Try the lo & slo way.
    1/2 lb patties of 80/20 ground chuck. Add a few hits of Worcestershire sauce, and season them up with DP raisin the steaks rub, or anything else you like. Temp at 250º on raised grid. Takes about 40 min, flip at 20 min. Add a chunk of whatever wood you like, I use cherry or guava. Pull at about 150º (don't want these rare). Burgers are very juicy and have the smoke flavor. Haven't used ketchup on burgers for the past 2 years. Give it a try. Takes a little time, but worth it.
  • Here's my best recipe, borrowed from the barbecuen.com site. You could add some of your favourite rub if you like, but I find with all the garlic (add more than 3 cloves if you like) it's good enough. I also think the secret is chilling the meat for a few hours.
    \
    Onion-Garlic Hamburgers:
    2 lbs. top quality ground beef
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup onion, minced fine
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1 tsp. dry Italian seasoning
    1 tsp. salt

Mix together and refrigerate 3-4 hours. Form meat into patties about 1/2 inch think and just a little larger than your buns. I cook direct at 300 degress till done.
  • Thanks all for the advice! I guess I got to start making burgers more often, all the recipes look delicious. I can't wait to try them.

I did the method you suggested TRex and they cam out delicious. My guest we're quite impressed. I went to publix and they did not have the mixture you mentioned so I got the brisket.

Thanks a 10^6