Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami ala thirdeye...

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pastrami… ohhhhh goooood!

Thank you thirdeye for your help with this! It is a real treat for the taste buds…

pastramiwet1.jpg

pastramiwet2.jpg

The rub is a bit ‘peppery’ for me but that didn’t slow me or anyone down from eating.

This started out as two large pieces. One not foiled until pull time and the other (pictured) was foiled at 130°. Both to 165° at pull for a hour rest. Grid temp @ 260° and two good sized chunks of hickory for flavor. Both pastrami tasted great. I told everyone to hold off eating so I could get some pictures taken. As you can see there was not much left when I got to the camera…

The foiled piece was soaked for 14 hours. The other was only rinsed then rub applied.

There is definitely a salt taste difference in both pieces but both are very good stand alone eating.

Now to finish of that cook. Grilled up some ½ chuck & ½ ground beef, seasoned (onion, garlic, very light salt, pepper and heavy paprika. Proceeded to made some nice size burgers. Piled on an equal or more amount of pastrami, some swiss, and sauerkraut (sorry not pictures of the pastrami burgers) – both cuts of pastrami were excellent.

Today (second day) I made some sandwiches with pumpernickel bread, brown mustard, swiss, pickle and huge amount of pastrami. Just a hint of the hickory wood flavor and these are fantastic.

My wife and I think the pastrami tasted better today than yesterday.

Almost forgot… raised grid (tvj style) and a drip pan (dry).

Doing this is amazingly easy, if you like pastrami this is a must.

Life with and egg is good!

Kent

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    that looks great. i made some following thirdeyes instructions a while back. i now have requests from 6 families to make more. my thanks to thirdeye for his site and for his help. and the rest of you.... if you have not tried this.... you should, it is unbelievably good! next time i am making my own corned beef.
    bill
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Very Nice. My wife has made Emerils duck pastrami twice in the oven and it was great. I think we'll have to try a double header of Egged pastrami.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Looks awesome, I made thirdeye's over the summer and it's full proof. Can't go wrong, and so lean. I made two large ones and took the second one and sliced it up on the slicer and vac seal them for the freezer. Now I guess I have to take some out today for the games. Good looking cook Grandpas Grub.

Pork Butt Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Wow, you did a fine job on that. It's some of the nicest color I've seen on the "wet" pastrami.

I'm glad you tried different techniques and rinse times, it will be easier for you to give it some personal fine tuning next time. I have always thought the flavor is better the next day too, but I can't resist having some when it's still warm.

I'm going fishing today, I could have used a couple of pastrami sammies. ;)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nice photos... and the pastrami looks delicious! Now you've got me wanting to give thirdeye's recipe a try.

Cuppa Joe,

john
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    DROOL, god that looks good! I'd bet you could make some incredible Reuben sammys with that! Great job Granpas.
    sly
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Oh, that looks good, just missing a little cheese, sour kraut and rye bread with cold beer. Glad you enjoy the adjustable rig and spider.....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks for the extra help with the instructions. I think the only thing I am going to change is the rub mixture. Just a little less pepper.

The end cuts were fantastic but spicy. I has a few kids over and told them I was using a little different rub on this batch. We all fight for end cuts and as the kids were eating them some were choaking (too strong of a word but you get the idea). Saying boy this is 'hot/spicy'. No one asked for water or something to drink just wanted more end cuts.

The reason for not dry piece pictures is that that pastrami was skinned to bare meat before we made the pastrami burgers.

I need to go an look at your Rub recipe again and make sure I was to use Tbs and not tsp. Anyway I am going to cut the Tbs by 1/3 on the next batch.

I have been using Western Family corned beef and have noticed with some of the cooks and some of the parts of each piece of meat to be noticable more tender than others.

I take off of the egg at 165° to 170° and am wondering if I cooked to a higher temp if I would get a more tender result.

Fishin.... too cold & too much ice. You guys had to be getting a lot of harsh weather up there.

I wouldn't even know where to start chippin ice for a hole. Besides I hate the taste left in my mouth trying to keep those worms warm.

I'll stay here and make some toasted pastrami sandwhich's

Good luck fishing, I think I will go over and BUY some trout to smoke. LOL.

Again, thanks Wayne for your help.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I want to try and corn myself too
  • lowercasebill
    Options
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Looks great Kent!
    Hammer
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Thanks for the extra help with the instructions. I think the only thing I am going to change is the rub mixture. Just a little less pepper.
    The end cuts were fantastic but spicy. I has a few kids over and told them I was using a little different rub on this batch. We all fight for end cuts and as the kids were eating them some were choaking (too strong of a word but you get the idea). Saying boy this is 'hot/spicy'. No one asked for water or something to drink just wanted more end cuts.

The reason for not dry piece pictures is that that pastrami was skinned to bare meat before we made the pastrami burgers.

I need to go an look at your Rub recipe again and make sure I was to use Tbs and not tsp. Anyway I am going to cut the Tbs by 1/3 on the next batch.
    I have been using Western Family corned beef and have noticed with some of the cooks and some of the parts of each piece of meat to be noticable more tender than others.

I take off of the egg at 165° to 170° and am wondering if I cooked to a higher temp if I would get a more tender result.

Besides I hate the taste left in my mouth trying to keep those worms warm.

I'll stay here and make some toasted pastrami sandwhich's

Good luck fishing, I think I will go over and BUY some trout to smoke. LOL.

Again, thanks Wayne for your help.

Kent

Kent,

Maybe I need to make a clarification on my site.... the recipe for the rub is just that, a recipe for the rub. The instructions are:

"...apply rub to all sides. Set in the refrigerator overnight wrapped in plastic. On cooking day, bring brisket to room temperature, re-season all sides with a sprinkle of rub..." I did not mean for you to apply all of the recipe to one piece of corned brisket. Sorry, maybe that was the reason it was too peppery. :sick:

Cooking to higher internal temps with a corned product do not necessarily equate to "more tender". The corning process changes the meat structure somewhat, so it is different that cooking fresh meat.

Fishing was not that successful today. The day was beautiful, just little action. No chipping involved, the ice is 15" thick. We use an ice drill, it takes less than a minute to drill an 8" hole. After that it is just like bait fishing or jigging from a boat. For ice fishing we can use 6 lines each, which can be pretty exciting when the action is hot.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I need to do the overnight stand with the rub and possibly use less. I will again try the same recipe and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Kent