Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cancer

Michael B
Michael B Posts: 986
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got word that my father-in-law (79 y.o.) came through his surgery in good shape.
The family doctor in Austin, Texas sent him to the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston a few weeks ago to get a growth on one of his kidneys checked. The tests came back as cancer. He went back to the Cancer Center Tuesday to get started on the prep work, and they performed the operation to remove the kidney today.
The surgeon said the operation went well and he does not think the cancer had spread anywhere else. He then assigned two other doctors to keep an eye on my father-in-law, as he had to leave to be with his mother who is dieing.
My wife and mother-in-law are staying at a hotel near-by.

Comments

• I have a friend here in Charlotte who has been to that same cancer center in Houston. He has had a rare kind of non-hodgkins lymphoma (in and out of remission) for about 7 years. They are miracle workers there. He had a stem cell transplant there about 2 years ago. On a more recent visit, they reported that it was again in remission.

Your father-in-law in great hands.
  • Michael B
    Thank you, and yes, that is one of the best, if not the best cancer treatment center in the country. Still, everyone has been pretty tense around here for the last several weeks. Being 79 years old he will have a rough recovery, but the biggest hurdle is now behind us.
    Debbie (my wife) will be staying long enough, hopefully, to help get him home; then I will go and stay with them until he can get around on his own.
  • God bless you all!

Rascal
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Blessings your way --

Our family has been through all of this, one of the more trying times in life.

Best to All!

~ B
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Sorry to hear about your father in law. My prayers are with you and your wife and your family.
    Hammer
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Cancer is such a terrible thing, and it touches more of us than is believable. Hang in there, My Man. My prayers are that things will be positive for your family. God Bless your family, and that doctor and his.

Mike
  • don't even know you. but i'm thinkin of you.
  • Living here in Texas, I have had a couple of friends seek treatment at MD Anderson. Truly a world class facility! Your FIL's family doc here in Austin could not have referred him to a better, more caring place. Our prayers are with him!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    GREAT NEWS!!!! Chalk one up for the good guys!

Our best to your wife and you. Glad to hear the success and our prayers are with your family.

Kent
  • Michael B
    Thank you everyone.
    I just talked with Debbie. She sounded in good spirits, and for her that says a lot.
    They have George on some serious pain meds that have him either asleep, or half asleep. Jean (m-i-l) and Debbie spent all morning and most of the afternoon in the hospital. Jean went back to the hotel to clean up and get something to eat while Debbie sat in the room. Tonight Jean is staying in the hospital room with George and Debbie went back to the hotel. They plan to sit with him in shifts. (And they say I can be a bother sometimes.)
    Nothing near as serious, I had a hernia operation several years ago. The first thing I remember was waking up back in my room and Jean sitting by the bed. Next time I woke up, Debbie and George were there.
    I told them about the prayers and good thoughts going their way. They all send their appreciation.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    I will have good thoughts for your family today.