Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just who is wmk and the other guy ???

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was just wondering about the two alpahbet dudes that act like gods in their ivory tower. they're like nano-robots rustling around in the woodwork. sure i see their posts and yes i know they are getting things done. but just who are they? they both post a bios (ooops! that would be bio) that is pretty dang generic. are they eggers too? do they even like bbq? in his profile, wmk says he has a microwave, but no egg. geeze i know some intel pentium engineers that loved sucking snickers and coke all day. they wouldn't even know what to do with an egg. hmmmmmm? very curious.

maybe they are indeed gods; maybe just a couple of nerds with not much to do; and perhaps just some poor old retired folks on fixed income without the means to buy into the egg deal.

so i got to thinking...

since it appears, from what i have read here, that they both are pretty dang likable and they don't get much in the way of compensation and that they put up with a whole lot of grief for our benefit. maybe it's time that we THANK THEM FOR REALS . of course the obligatory thanks sporadically posted here are all cool, but i am all in for establishing a paypal trust account (or something better) in their names to buy them both an egg or something to thank them both for all they do.

i'm not certain yet how to work out the logistical details of something like this, but if you all might be interested in pitching in or have some ideas please send an email to me or respond here.

it's nice to say thanks... but an entirely different thing to give thanks!!!

happy eggin
mark

btw, if anyone knows who they really are, it would be nice to know these guys a bit better.

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    citychicken,

Briefly, I am "WMK", which stands for "Web Master Kinder", since I am the son of the man who started the original BGE website, Eggtoberfests, and this forum. When he passed away back in 2000, my mother and I inherited the maintenance and shepherding of this forum.

Since then, around the time we started working on this new forum, my friend WPB, began to help as well.

As my profile indicates, I do not currently own an Egg :( . This is because I live in a high rise apartment building here in Atlanta and cannot legally use one (against the fire marshal's regulations).
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they are compensated somehwhat for their time, but of course, with this kind of work, it's never nearly enough. this isn't a major source of income at all, and it's been suggested a few times that there be a paypal link. remains to be seen if they will put out the tip jar...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Glad you informed us of all that. If I may ask, are you and WPB compensated by BGE or someone else for the work you do in here?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WMK, translates to Web Master Kinder...who in fact is David Miller, son of the late Bill Miller....who started, ran and, owns this forum....David has done a tremendous amount of work to keep this forum going and keep it clean....Without his and Brenda Miller's "constant" support I really believe this forum may very well not exist today.....My Hat's off to both of them......I at this point have absolutely no idea who the newly recruited, and hard working "WPB" is....all of this is as "I" understand it....
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I guess I took a little to long to type my reply...LOL.....again Thanks for everything....
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    DynaGreasball,

Yes and no. I receive a small stipend from BGE, but it does not cover the time it takes to keep up with things, especially as the volume has steadily increased over the years; and, most especially, at times like these.

And, generally, WPB gets nothing for his efforts (though, for past efforts, he did get an Egg and a Chiminea).

Originally, we had intended to host banner adds since the site gets more than enough traffic to pay for itself; however, BGE will not permit this. Suggestions of a Paypal button have been made before; and, they are much appreciated. If there is sufficient interest, then we could set it up, but we'd need to clear it with BGE first.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Whoa! Just a thought here, if you own and operate the site with little or no compensation from BGE I's be putting up a few banners. We had a few before if I recall and they weren't at all distracting. Not too long ago I had two very active web sites for which I paid (I've found out was a modest amount) Something on the idea of $8,000 a year. There was constant tweaking and adjusting going on and my web master was prompt and cheerful in spite of his work load.

I'll bet if you took a poll you'd find most of us would support banner ads if will help Miller House.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I believe in an earlier post, and correct me WMK(David) that you wrote that BGE paid for the server, and that it was a substantial amount of money.
    I know that you and WPB;(whats his name) have done a great job getting this new forum up and running. Your father and mother also did a great job, and Brenda continues on the legacy as well.
    So Thank's to everyone for making my life better, because of everyone's effort!
    Hammer
  • Katodude00
    Options
    You have to be a little careful about banner ads. On a lot of forums they can get out of hand. However, in some cases they can be useful for more than just money. Typically you should only allow ads from companies that make ad on products for the Egg or retailers of the Egg, basically the ads need to be Egg related. The other option is to host some Google links which with the traffic this site gets can be very lucrative.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    What does WPB stand for? Webmaster's Party Buddy? Am I right? Did I win a prize?

Heeeee,
    Cornfed