Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Lump Question

Options
fuhgedaboudit
fuhgedaboudit Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Between cooks I have been removing the small pieces of used lump at the bottom of the firebox. I add 'fresh' coal to the egg and then put the smaller, used pieces on top. I figure I'll get better draft. Anybody else doing this or am I just wasting time?

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    fuhgedaboudit,
    You are using the correct procedure. Check Shotgun Fred on u-tube. That is what he suggests.[p]Hope he will have his sifter bucket on the market soon.[p]I bought the small (about 5 gallons) trash can & keep the ashes in it. Can't find a sifter that has large enough hole. I think the bucket needs to have at least 1 inch holes.[p]

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    fuhgedaboudit,[p]Wasting time? No.
    I usually stir the old lump to get the ashes and very small pieces to sift down through the fire grate, dump in fresh lump, and stir once more to mix the old with the new.
    With my way, it is possible that there is a piece or two that has been in there several months.
    Your way pretty much ensures the lump is no older than one or two cooks.

• fuhgedaboudit
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    I checked out the youtube video on the turbo grate. Seems pretty efficient. Thanks for your feedback.
    Dennis

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'm sure what you are doing will give good results but I'm way too lazy for that. I just stir the used lump until the the ash falls through and dump in the new. -RP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    carbon is carbon. age doesn't matter. it'll burn if it's in there.

i like the small bits. for lo-and-slo cooks, they give me extra insurance that the fire will bridge the gaps and move around. i made the mistake of using all new, all big lump during a lo-and-slo. it died. fire can't jump across a gap.

and during a slow cook, the area of the lower and upper vents is so little, there's almost no way the little bits of lump in your mix will ever choke the fire down. very little air is needed, and the firebox is pretty big compared to the vent openings.

all i ever do is add new lump and stir. only thing i take out is ash.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I do that also. Shotgun Fred of the BBQGuru had a video on YouTube that outlined that exact procedure.

I even went out and found a little trash can for the ashes, and I use the basket for a turkey fryer to strain out the ashes from the old lump.
  • hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    Options
    can i get a link to that video?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Nessmuk,[p]A large screen classifing pan works great. There are also some gold dredge classifing pans that will work good.[p]Don't eat the yellow snow.[p]Kent
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I do that a lot with used lump as well.

It is also good for cooking something when you want a clean burning fire without any smoke flavor.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I just stir things up and clean out the ash. I add new lump and start cooking. I've tried cleaning it out and tossing the small pieces. I found it didn't change anything so I quit, (too much work).
  • SkyRider
    Options
    fuhgedaboudit, The TURBO GRATE from BBQ GURU folks works like a charm for me...just take out the old grate, and pit it in. After a cook, I just shake it a bit and the really small stuff and ashes fall thru, plus, it makes for a nice even burn pattern. Also, I opened up the slots (ie, bent them open wider a bit) to suit my personal preference. Good luck

[ul][li]BBQ GURU Website[/ul]