Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Question

Options
ravnhaus
ravnhaus Posts: 311
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 5.5 # on last night about 10pm. Cooked all night in 220-280 range for about 12 hour. Coals have gone out, internal is 190. I pulled and wrapped in foil.
Is it ready?
Should I fire up more coals and cook more?
Thanks.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    ravnhaus,[p]Stick a fork in it and give a twist. You will know if it is ready or not. My money says it most likely is.[p]Bob
  • Bob,
    It could be a very good slicable product or depending on the piece of butt at may pull just fine or it could be in between slice and pullable. It will be eatable (word?).
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    "Eatable".
    Looks like a word to me![p]Finally getting some rain here. Will only put a dent in the drought, but it is a step in the right direction.[p]Beers, and a good weekend to ya.
    NB

[ul][li]Eatable...the word.[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ravnhaus
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    I went ahead and pulled. It seemed ok but I am new to this pulled pork business. It taste pretty good though. I am going to attempt to post two pics in this message of the results:[p]3.2.02butt.JPG
    [/p]
    [p]3.2.02butt1.JPG
    [/p]

• ravnhaus,
    That LOOKS very EATABLE to me. :>
    Jim

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Looks great. Time to eat.

• ravnhaus
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    It has been eat on! No knife needed so I guess it was "pullable".
    It was my first all nighter. I lit a full (medium egg) load of coal about 10pm and set my NuTemp to let me know if it fell below 220°. It woke me about 3am and I opened up the vents just a hair (I had them both at minimum setting) and went back to bed. Around 5am the wind woke me up and I checked the temp. It was 289° so I got up and closed em down again. Then the wind really woke me as a norther blew in and we had gusts up to 50mph and the outside temp dropped 30° (to 30°F). The egg held a steady 229° till about 11am when I pulled the butt as the coal were just about used up. Had the fire held up I would have gone longer. As it was I got about 13 hours out of one fuel load under less that favorable conditions.

• ravnhaus,
    The wind can be more of a problem to a cook than cold or rain, eats fuel and raises temps beyond where we went them to be. Sounds like the job got done and you have learned something for next time, sound like a wind break may be good idea.
    Jim

• ravnhaus, Oh yes, what did you put on it? Did you slaughter some sauce on it? huh? huh?