Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

POLL: New Grid Extender vs New Large BGE Plate Setter?

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. I've gone crazy over the egg and spent quite alot so far on egg and eggcessories since Friday. We've cooked every night so far since the purchase and intend on doing so til we go out of town next Saturday. My wife has been patient with the eggpenditures so far, so I must limit my choice to one. Which is most useful, I'm very interested in making pizza and have a stone already.[p]Stuart

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Stuart,
    If you have a stone and 3 firebricks, you don't need either the plate setter or grid extender for pizza. Just put the bricks on edge in a 'Y' or 'Z' pattern and set the stone on top of them. Personally, since I too have a stone and firebricks, I think my next thing will be the grid extender or possibly just a second grate.
    JimW

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Stuart,[p]I have the plate setter and love it. USe it and a pizza stone and your pizza will be wonderful.[p]Fritz
  • Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Stuart,[p]I agree. firebricks are so cheap your wife will let you have them and the grid extender. The plate setter is more convenient being only 1 piece (except mine - it came in 4 pieces), but functionally, about the same as bricks, tho bricks are thicker. Get the firebricks at a regular brickyard for the cheapest price - I just got a bunch more for 70 cents each. My next toy is the grid extender for double decker stuff that's not firebrick stuff.[p]Mary
  • Grillin' Bill
    Options
    Stuart,
    I have 6 fire bricks I use. (2 different sizes) 3 Thick like regular brick and 3 thinner. I put the thick ones on their sides forming a Y or Z and put pizza stone on top works great. I use the thin ones when I want to create a ceramic Mass between food and fire like when I do turkeys or roasts. I bought a Weber circle grill that is almost same size as BGE grill. If I want two layers for cooking I put one grill on fire ring, then 3 fire bricks on their sides then a grill on top of them. This is just what I do, its cheap and works great.[p]Happy Cooking

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Stuart, since your wife has been so patient with your new found occupation,, why not reward her. When you go to get your grid extender,, pick out a nice plate setter,, just for her.. She's worth it for putting up with you..