Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Temps

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read several posts which discuss thigh temps for whole chickens cooked on the egg. Why does everyone measure the thigh rather than the breast?[p]Learning to ZEN on the EGG[p]Bama Fire

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    I measure in the breast. Pull at 165 for best results.
    Thigh will probably be 175-180.[p]Good luck. You brining??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yep -- I am gonna brine -- any helpful hints?[p]I checked with the butcher last night and he didn't have any briskets. *%$#@#. I'll check back later in the week. Boston Butts were also too pricy -- $1.67 per pound. I've bought them for $0.89 per pound. I did find some reasonable chicken wings. I'm headed to Sam's tonight in search of cheap meat -- they normally have wonderful prices. Hopefully, I'll be able to load up the freezer for next month or two.[p]Lent also has the potential of throwing a wrench into my egging this week -- no meat on Ash Wednesday or Fridays. Maybe I'll try some shrimp on the EGG. Yum![p]B~F

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    It's just a matter of preference. I guess the cooking schools teach the thigh method. Don't know, never been there. The chicken is done when the thigh reads 175-180F. The breast should read about 10 degrees cooler at the same time.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bama Fire,
    Helpful hints?? BRANT'S BRINE!!! See eggfest 98 recipes for Brant's Beer Butt Chicken. Simple brine with honey, salt, bay leaves, cinnamon (the secret ingredient), a bit o vinegar I think. You will not regret. BRANT'S BRINE rules.[p]For the wings you got, my favorite is tanker tim's okinawan wings. Chef RD's are supposedly excellent also.[p]Good luck newlywed boy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ