Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When/How to add wood?

Ellen aka Gormay
Ellen aka Gormay Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was wondering. What is the best way to add wood chips/chunks initially and thereafter. Does one mix the soaked wood in the lump prior to lighting or do you toss it in after initial flame has died down? If a recipe calls for adding more chips at intervals during the cook, do you remove food and grill, toss in chips and then replace grill and food?

Comments

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    I remember seeing somewhere where they had cut a notch out of the grill so that wood could be dropped in while cooking.
    Been thinking of doing the same.
    I never soak wood prior to burning as I cannot see the point. I am looking for smoke not steam.

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    I sometimes mix with the lump before lighting although I usually place it away from the initial burn area. I will then throw some on the coals at the same time I add the food.
  • ravnhaus,[p]That is such an interesting statement. I've always seen directions to soak the wood and thought that by not doing so, the wood would burn, but would not pass on the smokey flavor one desired.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    Anything I have read says to soak the chips or chunks to slow the burning process and produce smoke.
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    ravnhaus,
    The point of soaking is not to make steam. It is to make it harder for the wood to ignite. If the wood ignites, you will get no smoke. Not a problem on low temperature fires, but definitely a problem as the fire gets hotter.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Personally, I get the initial fire started, then add the wood before putting the grid on. If I want the most smoke, I close the dome first, get it to temp, then throw the wood in, add grid and food at the same time. Short of cutting the grid, to add large pieces during a cook, you'd have to pull the food. If you have the grill gripper and aren't lifting something too heavy, you might be able to lift the grid and food at once, and drop the wood in.
    As for soaking...depends on what you want. If you're doing a short cook and want a lot of smoke, throw in dry wood. It'll light fast and burn out fast. If you're doing a longer cook and want smoke to last, soak the wood and drain all the water off before adding.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Shelby:[p]My best smokes are on a preheated cooker with the dry wood chips added as the meat goes on the grill. The length of the smoke is based on the quantity of wood added. I always "damper down" during a smoke, and bring the dome temperature up after the smoke is over to continue or finish the cook.