Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fresh tuna

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at Costco today and they had some real good looking tuna (steaks ?) These were thick and a gorgeous red color. I have never had fresh tuna, I was tempted to buy some but decided to hold off till I could check here.
#1 Does it taste fishy
#2 How to cook[p]Thanks for helping me eat fish. ÖÖÖ
New Bob

Comments

• New Bob,[p]I love Tuna. Fresh is nothing like the canned tuna.
    I like it best is sushi but I know you probably want to cook it :) [p]Try a 1hr brine of [p]1/2 cup kosher salt to 1/2 gal. cold water
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tbsp white pepper
    1 tsp allspice[p]Make sure the fish is submerged in brine... use a plate to weigh it down or Ice in a baggie or such device. [p]After the brine... let air dry until it becomes a bit shiny and sticky to the touch.... I believe this is called a peticle (sp?) but it helps seal the fat / moisture and take smoke better.[p]Smoke at 200 deg. dome on a Pam sprayed grill with a handful of alder, apple, pecan... any light flavored wood spice of choice. Hickory and walnut are too strong IMHO.
    I like alder myself. [p]Take it off when the fish just flakes with a fork... careful not to overcook it... Like I said.. I like sushi so that is a major sin in my book :)[p]It is a real treat :) Happy Egging... BB

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BB,
    Thanks, I'm printing this out as I'm typing. Yes, I need to cook it, I am not big on fish but these tuna steaks looked so good I had to fight to keep myself from buying them.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob
    Tomorrow, Costco here I come.

• New Bob,[p]You welcome... just passing along info I picked up somewhere else ya know :)[p]I didnt give you a cook time estimate because it depends of the cut... but I would check it after first hour and then every 1/2 hour after that until it "just becomes firm to the touch and flakes with a fork "[p]One of my favorite fish... so you better like it :) [p]Happy Egging.. BB

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    BB,[p] That's one way, but like you I think it is best at least partially raw. I find it to be best if it is cooked like an ultra-rare steak. Cover with cracked pepper and some mustard seeds and sear quickly on both sides -- take it off when the middle is still like Jell-O! And no, a good fresh ahi (yellowfin tuna) steak will not taste fishy at all . . .[p]MikeO[p]PS, the sticky shiny surface is called a pellicle! The use of the term is very interesting. For example, Canon makes a camera with something called a pellicle mirror instead of the mirror that folds up on most SLR cameras when you take a picture. The pellicle mirror has a shiny surface that lets part of the light through to the film and reflects the rest to the viewfinder. This allows you to have a stationary mirror and take lots of pictures faster. It also allows you to avoid the vibration on slow shutter speed shots caused by the mirror bouncing as it gets out of the way!
  • BillyT
    BillyT Posts: 29
    Options
    New Bob,[p]For the same reason I don't brine, smoke or put mustard on tenderloin before I grill it, I don't recommend doing much to good yellow fin tuna. There is a reason this stuff is $19/lb. [p]Don't marinate it either, just a little olive oil, kosher salt and pepper is all I ever put on it. Then grill it for a few minutes. The only way to screw it up is to overcook it.[p]If you have fresh fish and don't overcook it you will be regarded a genius. Remember in Tokyo 30 million people eat this stuff raw. [p]BillyT[p][p][p]

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    1) It is NOT fishy, fresh tuna real fresh tastes more like steak than fish.
    2) I wouldn't check it every 30 minutes unless I was trying to smoke it. Crank the egg up like you are searing a steak. Depending on your technique 2 minutes a side then close all the vents and give it another 2 minutes.[p]Bon apetite