Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you like to cook for a crowd other than.....

Options
fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...pork butt or brisket? I'm having a party in a couple weeks for my daughters' first birthday. We'll have maybe 20-25 people in attendance and the wife has asked me to cook butt for pulled pork. I seem to always do that for these types of parties and would like to try something different.[p]So! What do you like to cook for a crowd other than pork butt or brisket?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    fiver29,
    I like Jambalaya, not too spicy, served with creole tomato sauce for parties. It can be mostly set up in advance, and you can ADD the shrimps as the guests arrive, keeping them from overcooking. You can stir in Egged shrimps, instead of cooking them in the rice mix.[p]The creole sauce is a tomato sauce with a butter base--Paul Prudhomme has a good recipe. You can make 2 sauces if you are energetic, one spicy as hell and the other mild for those that can't take too much heat.[p]The jambalaya can be cooked on Egg as well, in a dutch oven.[p]The plating is simply to take a cup measure, mould a cup of jambalaya on plate and sauce. If you are more casual, you can spoon it out yourself as a guest and ladle the sauce on top. It is very delicious and holds well so late guests are no problem.

[ul][li]Jambalaya in Paul Prudhomme's Classic book[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I usually just stick to those 2 things. Where I get my ohs and ahs is the appetisers.

Sausage stuffed portabellas, cut into 1/4's.
    sausageport.jpg

Couple plates of scampi.

scampi5.jpg

Good luck, I usually cook twice as much brisket as I do pulled pork.

Mike
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Those look great Mike, how do I talk you out of the recipe. Looking for something for a party tomorrow night. I want to cook some jalapeno poppers for the guys but this looks good for the older persons (my aunt is turning 90 tomorrow) and kids.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I will give you both that older people should like. Okay?
    Take your portabella mushrooms, wash and rinse of course. EVOO on the bottom, how ever many you have room for on a pan. Robust Wishbone Italian Dressing on the gill side. Do this first, then brown your mild sausage. Should be about 30 minutes. Cook gill side down direct for about 5 minutes give or take, add sausage and cheese of your choice until cheese is melted. Rest just a couple minutes so cheese doesn't run everywhere. Quarter and enjoy.

Scampi, I have been playing around with. I started using a paste instead of fresh garlic. These were cooked on a hot plate. Just about 1/4 cup of butter/garlic paste. Pour over shrimp. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle a little lemon juice and Concord wine. Then add parsley. Cook for about 4 minutes direct at 400. Might have to turn the plate a couple times.

Woking scampi is really a hit. I haven't tried it yet. But next time I have a crowd. I might throw a shot of rum in there. :woohoo: That's what RTD says to do.
    scampi.jpg
    Let me know.

Mike
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    the rum goes in the cook, mon! hahaa :P
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I can't remember the post, but you said. Beware, I might throw in a shot of rum to wacth the fire glow.

Hey, I'm good with it.
    I can't wait to setup camp next to your, or a few feet away :laugh:

Mike
  • fiver29,[p]pork loin
    beef tenderloin
    prime rib[p]porkloin-010.jpg[p]vinnysbeeftenderloin-032.jpg[p]vinnysprimerib-020.jpg[p]vinnysprimerib-040.jpg

Options
    it could happen, mon! :woohoo:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    This might sound a little wierd, but have you thought of pizza??

I was thinking about doing a pizza party for my son. This would get the kids involved and feed everyone pretty quickly.

The pizzas only take about 10 minutes on the EGG at 550-600.

Greg
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I've successfully done Tri-Tips for gathering of 20 - 40.

I sear first, then roast to 130F internal. Slice against the grain and build a "sort-a-kinda-like-a" Philly sandwich. Gotta have a great bun to start with, with a good cheese-melt, sauted onion, peppers, shrooms, onions...
  • Geaux Tigas
    Options
    dover_gal,
    I agree with you. Jambalaya or even gumbo is a great way to feed the masses.[p]If you try to do a gumbo/jambalaya, a great resource is the gumbo pages.[p]2007 National Champs
    Tigas

[ul][li]Gumbo Pages Link[/ul]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    fiver29,[p]Chilli and baked potatoes
    Butterflied leg of lamb
    Prime rib[p]It depends on the occasion.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I did a big paella for a party of 20 recently. Added chicken legs, and rabbit at the start and near the end I put in some tiger prawns. I put lemon wedges on top for the last 3 minutes for them to warm, and then squeezed them over the top before serving to give a lovely finish. I will do this again for a group, because all the work is done in advance, and the egg is very forgiving on time for a dish like this.
    Roger
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    fiver29,[p]Thanks for all the replies. I showed them to my lovely bride and she liked the idea of cooking beef tenderloin. Who am I to argue?[p]Thanks again!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Options
    good call! a little pricey, but sometimes it's just worth it!

vinnysbeeftenderloin-024.jpg

don't forget the horseradish sauce

vinnysbeeftenderloin-034.jpg
  • Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Options
    GeauxTigas,
    Thanks for the link.
    I pretty much stick to the Prudhomme variation with my own changes: I have a friend who can get alligator andouille, but typically I use kielbasa (don't yell! I am in Delaware, not Looosiana.) I do use butter and one key thing is to make the trinity (peppers, celery and onion) very finely chopped so that there are no floppy bits of green pepper.[p]The sauce is critical to success. Not only is the plating very pretty, but the drier rice in the Jambalaya seems to hold up well waiting for guests to dip in. I am trying to find a good iron dutch oven for my Small Egg and am thinking of making one possibly next time at Waldorf (if we cook, the guy at home is doing flank steak but I thought I could do my jambalaya and bring smoked tomato creole sauce pre-made.)

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I like to do ribs and sausage.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    fiver29,
    I like to cook Mr. Toads pork loins. It is good and has the WOW factor!
    Hammer