Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello

Options
Builder Chris
Builder Chris Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I got my xl about 1 month ago and have been lurking in the background reading the forum. I been bbqing for about 6 years on a weber bullet, but I got tired of the limited space and heat loss. After a month of research I dediced on the xl egg. The food has been outstanding plus I have already cracked my fire box (week 1), toasted my gasket (week 3) and cracked my grate (week 4). I can't wait for the next experience. I look forward to contributing to the forum and hello to everyone.

Comments

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Man, you didn't waste any time!! I've been at it for 2 years and still haven't done any of those things...I guess I'm just not egging enough. Welcome to the cult and congrats on all of your recent accomplishments!!

Bruce
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Welcome...It'll get better, I have had my XL for a couple of years now along with my other sizes.....hopefully you can find some info to help you on my website linked below..mostly in the cooks section....Keep on postin and let us know how it's goin...
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Well it looks like Builder Chris is going to be able to learn the secret handshake and you aren't. There are certain :things" that you must experience before learning the handshake and the things he mentioned are a few of them, The only thing he has to do is attend an Egg Fest.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Welcome, You will be way more eggperiencest than me on repairs. I just fried my first gasket yesterday doing a clean (also broke the ear off the daisy wheel). Do you mind if I call on you for repair advice? Welcome to the site, there's alot of good people more than willing to help us newbes. PS will I learn the handshake at the Fla eggfest? :huh:
    Pat
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Builder Chris,

Welcome and be careful with FLASHBACK.

Arm hair, backs of hands and eyebrows and that awful smell.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    wow, man, into the fire!

all those things will not detract from the power of the egg!
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Hey Chris,

You're not supposed to be using a hammer! :) Sounds like you're having a blast, man. I've been a Weber guy for years (kettle and gasser) and made the switch in October of last year and haven't looked back.

Looking forward to adding additional eggs to the stable this year...

Happy Egging!
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Come on Sundown, I have attended an eggfest, received 2nd degree burns from the steam ball rolling out when I opened the dome to quickly, and I proudly display 3 meteorites that I've acquired from bags of lump!!! I'm on my way! lol

Bruce
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    > cracked my fire box (week 1)
    Replaceable under warranty.
    Doesn’t effect how how the Egg works until the cracks divide the fire box into more pieces than can be stacked back together.

> toasted my gasket (week 3)
    A fried gasket after the first few cooks is generally caused by a poor seal. Check the dome to base fit.

> cracked my grate (week 4).
    Fire grate?
    Sounds like you got one of the older ceramic grates. This is also replaceable under warranty. Ask for one of the metal grates.
    In a pinch, you can use a Lodge cast iron trivet or a drain cover.

Nobody said these were indestructible, just warranted and a d...arn good cooker.

Enjoy!
  • Builder Chris
    Options
    The process is fairly simple, just a little time consuming getting all the old adhesive off. I removed the lid to speed up the process, but I have a xl, the large might allow more access. Send me an email if you still want some advice.
  • Builder Chris
    Options
    My toasted gasket was due to me leaving the lid cracked, about 3", during getting the lump up to temperature. (I wanted to speed up the process by making sure it had enough air) By the time I went back outside, the gasket was crispy black. Lack of experience on my part.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome Chris,
    You do realize that you don't have to "build" the egg.Haha We're glad to have you cooking with us. Take lots of pictures and ask any questions you have.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Just take of the DFMT next time--the cooker gets up to temp much faster that way.