Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Efficient Rib Arrangement

KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who have developed creative ways to maximize the number of ribs you can smoke at one time on a BGE please post pictues or describe what works best. I can usually get 2 slabs on the rib rack but I am looking for a way to get more on a large egg.

Comments

• How many are you wanting to do? Three is usually not a problem with a rib rack. Naked Whiz has a photo of a guy who had as many as like 20 or so. I think Ricks Tropical Delight had 6-8 slabs. He might post a photo.
  • six slabs of baby backs on a large egg.
    two grids, three slabs each laying flat.
    i'm doing this again tomorrow! :woohoo:

ribs-010.jpg

ribs-013.jpg
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Just curious.It looks like the top rack is resting right on top of the ribs on the lower rack. Is it?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• no sir... look at the second pic... the grid on the bottom has handles that are the perfect height for rib clearance and the top grid sits right on the handles nicely.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Oh....now I see. I've seen those grids with the handles at the hardware store where I buy my lump. I'll probably
    buy one next time I'm there.
    I've always cut the slabs in half and used a rib rack, but I've been wanting to try laying them flat. Now that I see how you set up I'll give it a try.

Do they stay in that position for the entire cook or do you swap them around?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• KC
    That looks great. I will definitely use this arrangement for baby backs. I have a cheapy grid from a long dead grill that has the handles on it that should work.

I did not specify in my original question but I was referring to the full size pork ribs rather than baby backs.

Thanks for the help.
  • Additional question, when you have more ribs on the EGG, will it take more time at the same temperature??

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    I'm going to wear out these pics on the forum, but here goes:

This arrangement is for a LBGE:

1. Firebox
    2. 2" fire ring (not the standard one that comes with the LBGE)
    3. Inverted plate setter
    4. Aluminum half tray for drip pan
    5. Porcelain grid
    6. V-Rack
    7. Grate extender
    8. Another brand of vertical rib rack

Total capacity:

3 St. Louis trimmed spare ribs, all the extra trimmings/cuttings, some sausages on the perimeter.

IMG_9254.jpg
    IMG_9256.jpg

Hope that helps!
  • KC
    Thanks Mike. I'll try this rig this weekend.
  • i forgot about this, but i had them in the rib rack first, then changed it to the two grids. tomorrow, i'll try the two grid set up from the start and maybe rotate the grids to make sure there's no hot spots. there's really no one answer... do whatever seems to work! :P

ribs-001.jpg

ribs-007.jpg

ribs-017-1.jpg