Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken wings on the LBGE

Juicy
Juicy Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to make wings tomorrow on the LBGE for the Seahawks game. This will be the first time, just wondering if anyone has a good recipe or any pointers. Thank you for the help![p]Juicy

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    You can go very basic with just salt and pepper, a rub, a marinade or a baste. Soaking them in the oil based Italian dressing for an hour is easy. If you have a grate extender to get them up higher in the pit, they are easier to cook. If not, grill them over a low fire until done.

One thing I think is important is the prep. Here is how I do mine. It's hard to see but I also make a slight cut at the joint so the two pieces break easily.

7d0d5b85.jpg

2d0efe56.jpg

You can see a write-up in the CHICKEN section of my site, the link is below. You better cook plenty of them, they go fast!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I liked the dizzy pig recipe for almost crunchy wings on dizzypig.com's site. Also I have used a chicken rack that you get at Home Depot to hang the wings on for about an hour at 350 till they get to like 195.
  • Warthog
    Warthog Posts: 84
    Juicy,
    Since you said Seahawks, I assume you are out here in the NW. I have been making a lot of these lately. These are just your basic buffalo wings, right out of NY. Grill the wings direct at about 325- 350, turning every few minutes to get them brown all around. For the sauce, I use Franks redhot sauce and butter. I use equal parts butter and hot sauce, but if you want hotter, add more hot sauce.[p]Hope this helps.[p]

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    I also use the Dizzy Pig technique with a couple of tweaks. We like just salt, pepper and granulated garlic for spices, and then sprinkle with a little rice flour. It gives a nice crunch. Indirect at 400ish until you like them.

wings2.jpg
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    I also use the Dizzy Pig technique with a couple of tweaks. We like just salt, pepper and granulated garlic for spices, and then sprinkle with a little rice flour. It give a nice crunch. Indirect at 400ish until you like them.

wings2.jpg
  • I, too, have used the Dizzy Pig recipe.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

It is very good and quite easy.

Also, you should try smoked drumsticks. I got a drumstick holder at BBQ Galore, which makes them quite easy.

I make the smoked drumsticks at about 250 indirect in the rack for about 1.5 to 2 hours. They are awesome.

Here is the rack.

51NEEQYHRTL._AA280_.jpg
  • You can't beat the racks I have two of them and they do make the wings crispy and still moist.

100_0364.jpg

Pork Butt Mike
  • Juicy
    Juicy Posts: 10
    Warthog,
    I actually live 20 minutes from Green Bay, Wisconsin, but I can't stand the packers. Go Seahawks! Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a shot.

• 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Dust with either Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin or Swamp Venom. Dunk them in Alabama White Sauce as you take them off of the egg. Use Dr. BBQ's recipe for the sauce. It's in his Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook.