Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Cook Pulled Pork?

David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggsperts,[p]I have a problem. I have been asked to bring some pulled pork to a party tomorrow. I got a smallish (5 lbs) pork shoulder at lunch. Only problem, I won't be able to introduce it to humpty until about 10:30 tonight, and I'll need to take it off at around 6:30 tomorrow a.m. Is this possible? Say at maybe somewhere between 275 and 325? I was thinking about starting at 275 for a half hour or so, to try and get some smoke penetration, and bumping up to 325 before I go to bed. Anyone have any experience with short fuse requests like this? All ideas welcomed.[p]David B.

Comments

• David B.,[p]I imagine you could rush it to the plateau temp... and then have it hold there as long as possible as my understanding of the cooking process is that that is where the breakdown of the tough fibers occurs along with the rendering of fat. I wish I could remember what the plateau temp. is as I forget. [p]Maybe someone who knows will jump in here and help out. [p]Keep that remote therm. by your bed .... and you will probably have to check - adjust you vents a few time during the night to hold it at that magic temp. if it should start to rise above it.[p]The last thing you want to do is rush it through the plateau and make tough shoe leather out of it :) [p]So yes, higher temp than normal to get to the plateau quicker and then the trick will be holding that temp. as long as possible before the last bit of high temp. to get it to the finish line 200 deg. internal. [p]Good Luck.... and Happy Egging... BB

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    David B.,
    Here is a tale of a 2.5 butt. If yours is 5 pounds I would think similar timing would work. Mine turned out pretty good but being from Texas and all I am no expert.;-)
    Good luck!

[ul][li]pretty quick pork butt[/ul]
  • David B.,[p]Just confirmed my memory ... hold the temp. at 160 deg. internal as long as possible. [p]Maybe 1/2 hour before you want to pull it off bring up the temp. enough to finish at 200 deg. internal. [p]Good luck... and Happy Egging.. BB

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    David B., Keep your dome temp @ 275-300 will give you the right amount of time and temp for the 'perfect butt'. givin your 5 lb starter.[p]Marv

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    David B.,[p]Here is the way I did my first butt when I bought my egg and the method was given to me by Larry at BGE HQ. It turned out pretty good for something so quick and easy. I will be slammed for posting this by the purests and I will have to agree it is not quite as good as the method Elder Ward has given us which I now use exclusively. This will get you by in a pinch and it sounds like this may be just what you need for this situation.[p]Season a 2-8 lb but to your liking. (This will be the rub)[p]Smoke for 90 minutes between 200-250 degress direct.[p]Increase temp to 300-350 and cook for 90 minutes.[p]Remove butt from egg and re-season. Wrap in HD foil and cook another 90 minutes at 300-350.[p]Close off the egg completely and leave butt in for one more hour.[p]There you have it in under 6 hours. Mind you that this will not be quite as good as the pulled pork cooked lo/slo for 15 or more hours but I would say it is a good substitude when you need it. Also I found that chopping rather than pulling helps disguise the difference even better.[p]Good luck.
    Bob

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Bob:[p]I had some of Larry's "Quick Butt" at EGGtoberfest a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly, it was chopped as a compromise to pulled pork. It was so-so. On the other hand, it would have made an excellent thin sliced pork sandwich.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    djm5x9,[p]Thin slicing would be another good alternative. Larry was not heavy on the smoke as myself and if you can pour on the smoke good and heavy for that first 90 minutes it is not too bad. Like I said, it is not as good as the real thing but if done properly it is not bad at all.[p]How are things over on your side of town. Warmer than here I hope :~)[p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Bob:[p]Cold, but hopefully these warm periods followed by sharp cold spells will severely cut into the bug population for next summer![p]Hey, the Wednesday Lying Atlanta Paper, 2-27-02, page E6, bottom of the page had an article on Patak-Bohemia in Austell. I have not been there before, but hopefully will hand deliver a bill to a delinquent Doctor I built out a space for tomorrow. The article says he specializes in cured meats and sausages leading me to believe he does not make fresh sausage . . . Say it ain't so!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Bob,
    I have done the foil "trick" a couple of times on pulled pork and ribs too. Not the ideal method to be sure but hey when folks are licking there lips and its getting late you compromise. The steaming effect from the foil seems to help soften things a bit too.

• David B.,[p]My understanding is that the flavor from smoke is gained by meat prior to obtaining a temperature of 140 in the meat. Therefore, alternative methods for finishing the pork should not affect flavor, only texture. [p]I have several times (butt size from 4 to 9 pounds) heavily smoked a butt (up to 25 total pounds on my large BGE) for about 5 hours at 250 (not above 300 and not out) dome temp. The I take the butt and aluminum wrap it to finish. I find that adding ½ cup of apple cider in the aluminum seems to help flavor (and I think “wash” the fat out of the meat while cooking). I put the foil wrapped butts in the oven at about 350 until the internal temp is 210. This typically is about 2.5 hours for 7 pound butts.[p]The result is excellent flavor, very moist, very “pullable” pork ( literally falls apart on the grain) and short time period. I can start a cook in the morning and eat for supper. [p]The biggest problem I have had with this technique is when I read this forum and I hear people arguing about whose is longer or lower. Cooking something for three days (perhaps exaggerated some) or maintaining a cooking temp of 187.2385 are noteworthy activities. However, the reason for the BGE isn’t to provide people with a new way to fight (some posters may not fully agree, at least some actions suggest otherwise) but rather to help support the dieting industry. I have found that at the table, any longer cooking or lower temp cooking techniques that I have used do not result in better eating.[p]Don’t hear me saying that this forum hasn’t taught me a lot, it has. My purpose is to learn what others think works best and then improve (frequently not) on that technique.[p]Final answer: Pulled pork can be on the table in less than 10 hours and everyone will like your product.[p]Simple thoughts from a nut![p]Buckeye Bill

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Buckeye Bill,
    This 140 thing has become urban legend and taken on a life of its own. [p]Here's the deal. The chemical reaction that creates the coloring we refer to as "Smoke Ring" ceases around 140 degrees.
    Most of the smoke taste is carried by the bark and the flavoring will continue throughout the cook. [p]I find that wrapping butts deteriorates the bark but if it works for you.........

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • drbbq,[p]If I understand you right, I am gaining the color impact of a smoke ring fully but not the flavoring that could be obtained by a longer smoke. I guess I need to smoke longer, however my experiments have lead me to believe that there is little difference in flavor between 150 and 200 from the BGE. Maybe I need to test this again, as I have got lazy and done most of my PP the easy way. [p]I do between 20 and 25 pounds each time and then freeze. My experience is that PP sandwiches are great anytime you can eat them and we have a hectic schedule so they are a great quick meal. I have done over 100 pounds of PP since getting the egg in September 2001! [p]Thanks for the insight. It proves that using your ears can improve your knowledge. That is why there is a forum![p]Buckeye Bill
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Buckeye Bill,
    Yes that is what I'm saying. The carmelization continues too and that is a major factor in the taste.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ