Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you guys cook...

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A Pork Loin... I cooked one last weekend ( about 4 lbs. ), indirect, raised grid, 275 degrees for about 3 - 4 hours till 165 internal... didn't turn out the way I expected. It was good but not what I used to from the egg. A neighbor said he likes to do his direct at 375 for about an hour... I have had his and they are great... how do you guys do yours?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I do them many ways, but I think your's wasn't as good as you wanted because you took it so high.

145 is plenty high for pork loin. At 165 it was probably pretty dry.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I do mine direct on a raised grid at 350-400 degrees, turning fairly often. Pull at 150 degrees internal and you'll get better results.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    That's how I've done it, too with good results.... or you can sear it all around for good color, pull the loin off the cooker, then drop the temp down by waiting or adding the plate setter to drop the temp and cook at 325 or so until it reaches 145 in the thickest part, pull off, tent and let the internal rise another 5-7 degrees before cutting.

john
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    A loin is kind of a bland peice to start with, I like to start by coating it with dizzy dust and buttermilk, then lay out enough bacon to wrap it in. This is messy but well worth the effort! After wrapping in the bacon, tie it to hold it together, wrap and put in the fridge to marinate for the night. Next day i'll put on direct at 325 direct and turn overy 15 min or so, keeping me eye on the bacon so not to burn. Take off at 140 and let rest for 5-10 minutes. These are GREAT!
    Wrapped and ready for the fridge
    DSC00245.jpg

Fresh off the egg
    DSC00247.jpg

End result
    DSC00248.jpg

This is a great way to do a loin!
  • I do a pork loin more like your neighbor.

It seems to seal the juices at the hotter temp.

Greg
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    I brine mine overnight and pull them out of the fridge in the morning. I allow them to sit in the brine at room temperature for an hour or so before cooking. Then, it's 250, indirect, with hickory or fruit wood smoke. I pull at 143 and let carryover get me to the 147 necessary.

My favorite way to serve is party-style -- small crusty buns (so everyone can have 2-3 sandwiches), lime-pickled red onions with chiles, sweet pear mustard, and red chile mayo. Occasionally, I'll set out some sliced cheeses, too (Gruyere, muenster, and aged provolone) but it's not necessary.

Anyone to whom I have ever served these raves about how good they are -- I get lots of requests. Last year, I did these for the Super Bowl and served with shrimp and crab chowder.

Matt
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Dang it man!! I'll bet that bacon would make a my-tee-fine BLT for the cook's snack.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i like them cooked a little hotter than your neighbors, burning the exterior a little and then dropping to maybe 400 and wrapping in foil if its burning too much. i also take them off the grill and allow the internal to rise to about 145 on the counter, pork loin should be a little bit pink inside
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    Now thats what I'm talkin' 'bout... I will definately try that this weekend... looks AWESOME!
  • I have done both indirect as well as direct. Like many others have said already, I think if you pull the loin a litter sooner you will have better results. I pull my loins @ 145.

Lazydog B)
  • I do something similar with the bacon wrap, but over pesto sauce (basic, parmesan, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic) so that there is a nice green ring of taste between the bacon & the loin when it comes off.

I'll have to get some pics next time I do it.
  • That is a very good point.

I think many people think that Pork white meat is like Chicken white meat. Therefore, pink in the middle on Pork means that it is not done.

I always watch my internal temp, which is easy to do since I picked up one of those Polder dual probe(it gives me dome and meat) temperature gauges. It is not wireless but for a little over $20, it is a very cool product.

Greg
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to stuff mine and pull at 140-145F.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 07/01/07

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I did one the other night. Indirect with the plate setter and drip pan. Dome at 350. A little Dizzy Pig Shaken the tree and some garlic slivers stuck in there for good luck. Pulled it 145 internal and let it rest. it was tender and juicy