Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Egg grill extender

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to cook a rack of St. louis style ribs with dry rub, 4 brined leg quarters, and how ever many beef short ribs wet I can stick on. Going to stick a bowel of baked beans under the grid on top of the plate setter. Will stick a few small rocks between bowel and setter to create air space. My question is: I am planning to get the grid extender at the Egg store tomorrow to try and cram all this on my medium. How much space is between the stock grid and the extender grid and also how big diameter is the extender grid. Thanks folks.

Comments

• Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    I think the gap is about 3" or so from what will be the lower grate and the top grate, and the grate extender works for both the MED and LG.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If I'm understanding what you propose, it is to have the platesetter inverted, then the regular grid on that, then the grill extender. Won't work. The extender is 15", just like the regular grate, and so it will bump into the dome. For three tier cooks on my mediums, I made a smaller raised grid, 9" diameter, and 2 1/2" higher. Only works for piece items, as the legs are within the central area of the grate below.

You can get 2 full tiers, sort of, if you place a drip pan in the regular grate when its on the fire ring, and use a shallow roasting rack to put your food above. Then a raised grill obve that.

gdennby
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Ahhh Thanks for explaining that. Will start a new post farther up about question.