Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring hinge flipped

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As recommended, I flipped the hinge over just now. Then I did a better job of measuring the result. The dome travels 23" from closed to full open (that's something you could compare to your existing hinge, to confirm whether it opens further now). After 12", the springs are actually pulling it further open, counteracting the weight of the dome. Or in other words, the final 11" of travel are all in the "safe" zone where the dome won't come crashing down, if the handle is not held. [p]Yesterday I measured the "safe" zone as being the last 6" of travel, so flipping the hinge over yields a nearly 100% imrovement in how safe the hinge operates. As well, the springs feel like they are pulling it open with a stronger force, so I immediately feel more confident in their job to keep the dome up and open.[p]Net result, while I liked the hinge the other way, I definitely prefer the hinge this way. It's clearly better. I'll gladly make whatever changes I need to make to my table.[p]FYI, today at lunch I made a couple 5 oz filets (3/3/3 cook). Naturally, after I pulled the filets, I needed to close the dome. Out of habit, I put the plate down to free both hands to close the dome. Then I giggled to myself...old habits don't die immediately, but I suspect I'll get over it.[p]I'm not planning on re-posting any pictures, unless there's a specific request.[p]--sdb

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Could you please e-mail me some pics. I have my new hinge on the way to me now.[p]Thanks
    Earl

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Earl,
    Damn good to hear from ya again Earl....the hinge is pretty straightforward as to installation..and sdbelt has a post a little lower with a pic of it mounted upside down...the paper that comes with it will show you exactly how it`s recommended to install...Hope to CYA at Eggfest.[p]Wess

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Earl,
    Where have you been hiding...You will love the new spring loaded hinge...Hope to see you and Barb soon.
    Larry

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Earl,[p]I have had mine for about a month now and would not go back to the auto lock for anything. I think you will enjoy yours when it arrives.[p]Keep the fox fed and the snow out of your eyes :~)[p]Bob

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    WessB,[p]CYA = cover your ass? Gee with friends like that...[p]--sdb[p]PS- I know what you meant, but I thought that was funny...at least for a corporate puke that sees this TLA often enough.
  • Earl
    Options
    Bob,
    Hi guy's:
    I have been here all along, like many others, just staying on the side lines & out of the line of fire.LOL
    Nice to see how many old names came out to say hi to our old friend Elder Ward ( Hi there Elder ) Means we haven't lost anyone,there just lurking.

Earl

• Earl
    Options
    WessB,
    I am sure Barb & I will make it to Waldorf to have a beer or two with you, Larry (Y.B ) & Chris ( Nature Boy ) just to mention a few.[p]Look forward to CYA. LOL[p]Earl

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Earl,[p]Yep...that line-o-fire can be hotter than cooking steaks on the BGE at times :~)[p]Maybe someday we can all find a better way to handle our difference of opinions without the ill feelings and low blows.[p]Stay warm up there Earl. We got in the middle teens in Atlanta last night and are having a heat wave of 45* as a high today.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Earl,
    I hope you been perfecting your styrofoam cooler recipe..as the one you cooked last year was way overdone......LOL.
    Sorry..you had to be there..LOL[p]Wess

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    sdbelt,[p]I thought the same thing about the acronym. Upon rereading it, I think CYA is short for "See Ya"[p]Ca-rnivore