Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crying tiger on a stick

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,761
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_1707.jpg
made this last night from a sliced eye round i bought earlier in the week. the dipping sauce has roasted tomatoes, onions, garlic, thai peppers, fish sauce, pakaks hot curry, and lime juice. full flavored. roasted the sauce ingrediants as the egg came up to searing temps
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Wow, that looks good!!!

Greg
  • elongut
    elongut Posts: 34
    Options
    that looks delicious! great theme, too.
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Great Photo! And the food don't look too bad either...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That meal really looks good.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fishless...that looks real good. And so happens I have some elk eye round my neighbor brought by. I think I'd like to try that treatment based on your inspiration.

Was the sauce something you came up with by taste? Or do you have a recipe handy?? What is all the green color from? Looks almost like tomatillos instead of tamaters. Thanks!

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    Options
    basic recipe came from a book called quick and easy thai. i added the curry paste, a little water, some green onion to it. meat suggested was ribeye, sirloin, flank, but i bought a tysen brand rebanado delgato (presliced uncooked eyeround roast) and was looking for something to do with it.

marinade: says 1-4 hours, i went over night
    2 tbls soy
    1 tbls fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    some chopped green onion

roasted tomato chili sauce:
    6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions

when the egg got up to about 500, put the chilis in and roasted til they were starting to char but not black,maybe a minute, took them out and added onion and whole tomatoes and did the same thing. let egg climb up for searing temps while back inside tossed some garlic into a dry pan for a half minute on med, added the pakak paste (this paste needs to be cooked according to the label) added a little water to avoid burning, then everything into a food processer. allow to cool, go cook steak, i think this would be real good with flank cooked med rare then sliced, but it was fine with this cheap cut that tysen puts out.
    fukahwee maine

• Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    Man does that look good, more details please?

Lazydog
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i put the recipe under nature boys post. one thing i didnt mention is to start with less fish sauce as it can be salty, the bottle i have is pretty old and it may be condensed from aging. wonder if that stuff goes bad. the thai peppers heat takes away from the saltyness, add more if you really like heat.
    fukahwee maine

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Nice job. How intense was the heat/flavor?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    flavor is intense, sweet, salty, toned down with the heat, not burning, i would put the sauce on scrambled eggs which might be tomorrows breakfast
    fukahwee maine

• Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    Got it, Thanks!

Lazydog B)