Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 questions about by egg table

Options
ulika
ulika Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new cypress bge table and I have 2 questions.

1. what kind of stone or tile do I need to buy to go under the egg?

2. do I need to put any kind of stain or treatment on the table?

www.ulikafoodblog.com

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I put about 2-3 coats of poly on mine. I did this even before I put it together.

After which, I measured the shelf on which the EGG would sit. Then, I went home depot and picked up two rectangular stepping stones to cover the width of this shelf.

Personally, I wanted these stones to be as wide as or a little wider than the shelf so that I could protect from any hot ash.

Greg
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I just use my BGE feet under mine and it's worked fine, but other have put stone pavers underneath to put some thermal mass between the Egg and the table.

I'd put a seal of some sort on it.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I used 18" square concrete pavers - available at any big box home improvement store.

I used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane gloss - 3 coats.

Pics in the profile if you care to give a look
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You should REALLY do some research here on the forum...there have been several posts from uses who have come close to burning things down by just using the little feet under their eggs..it CAN get extremely hot beneath an egg, and over time it can dry the wood enough to litterally burn through the wood shelf...I personally have fire bricks under mine with the feet on top of them....pavers at least should be the preferred recommendation...consider yourself fortunate so far...
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I'm in the process of completing two tables (redwood). One for an XL and one with a granite top to use for extra space. Using 3 coats of a marine varnish and coating each assembly as they are completed to ensure coverage all over. Put a brick paver and the BGE feet under the big bruiser.

101_15531600x1200.jpg

The XL is in now and I need to stop cooking and finish the tables. B) Put the top on the XL and shelf on the bottom of the other table. BTW - put together a peel with drops.
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Nice handiwork there! I saw what will be my next BGE (It was an XL...) and am really getting excited about the upcoming eggfest when I can put some money down for a demo XL. I think that the sponsor will sell them with the nest, but I'm looking to put together a table for mine. I like your idea of a rolling storage cart, too.

Ahhh...the great ideas you can pick up from this forum.

Thanks!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Thanks, Wess, I'll have to lift my Egg and see what's under it.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Table looks great! How much time do you have in building that?
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Very nice looking tables.

Greg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    my table was 2 inches thick, it worked for several years just fine doing what your doing, then one night while i slept as the egg was cooking a low and slow pork butt, this happened, you can see where the little feet were. get a pavor, a stainless plate, anything noncombustable. this could have been much worse
    2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I would guestimate somewhere in the 8-10 hour range. It was spread over several days. The actual cutting and assembly is maybe 25% of the time. Sanding, Putting on three coats of marine varnish, sanding between coats, etc. took the other 75% of the time. Add in days when the temp is too low for varnishing and drying times extends the whole process - I enjoy projects of this size (not too big). Note to self - quit cooking and finish the tables.