Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How To Keep Constant Temp Overnight

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having difficulty keeping a constant 180 degrees in the BGE when smoking a pork butt overnight. I try and smoke a 8 pound butt for about 18 hours or so at 180 which means I usually have some overnight time. I usually keep it at a steady 180 for several hours before going to bed using the same opening adjustments on the Daisy Top and the Air Vent at the bottom. But the temperature changes overnight - sometimes going down to 100 and occasionally going higher than 200. Is there something I can do with the charcoal, or is it the outside temperature that affects the overnight stage?

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Don Markel,[p]The temp you are trying to maintain is pretty difficult for 8+ hours. That's a pretty small fire, and it would be easy to smother it, or have the fire flare up on you, for example as a result of some wind. So I don't have any suggestions for you. I have used my Redi-Check remote thermometer in the dome to monitor dome temps from within the house. That doesn't stabilize the temp, but at least I know when the temp is changing.[p]The question I have, is why are you trying to do pork butts at 180? That seems pretty low. Most folks on the forum here go for an internal temp of 200 on their pork butts, which means you need to have at least a 200 temp. The temp range I prefer is 225-250. If the dome is in that range, I'm pretty happy. The closer to 225 the better, but I won't fret it if the Egg decides that it wants 250 today.[p]Good luck![p]--sdb
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Ditto your comments completely...[p]Wess

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Ditto too. I tried the same thing when I first got started. 225º - 250º dome is fine and a LOT easier to maintain.[p]Carey

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    sdbelt,[p]Where would one get a remote thermometer? It sounds like a pretty useful piece of equipment?[p]TIA,[p]Ellen