Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE vs Extra Large BGE

Options
JR
JR Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I am sold and I am ready to buy. My only question now is Large or Extra Large. I have looked at both on dealer floor and I keep feeling like the large is not big enough. Any direction would be aprreciated.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I have 2 large & wanting a small. If I had to do over I would get ex large & small.
    Hope to have the whole family soon. Only prob. I can see with ex large is the low profile on the dome. Someone posted the pro's & con's a few days ago (TNW?)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Cooking for more than 8 = xLarge

Cooking for less than 8 = Large + Small

Both come to essentially the same $$
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    most of us have multiples so plan ahead. for some a large small combo, others 2 larges work better. im a fan of the large over the other sizes, one other thing is that what you cook on an egg changes over the years especially for crowds where most of the cooking can be done before anyone arrives. this is over 30 pounds of meat cooked in a large, so dont let its size fool you

2005012055.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I regularly do 4 8lb butts in the large and that will feed 50 people, so my recommendation would be the large to start with. Presently I have 2 large and a small and normally only use one at a time, but during the holidays there were days where all three were fired up. Having multiple Eggs gives you flexibility, like low and slow ribs in one and higher temp potatoes, ABTs, sides, etc in the other. -RP
  • easygoinjay
    Options
    for what it's worth, I just bought the XL after many months of consideration. I imagine it burns a little more chgarcoal than the other sizes to get it up to temp. I wanted one grill/smoker that could do it all, from small dinners to large parties. I never really considered getting two, although I'm sure that would be useful, too.

It's always been a rule with me when buying grills to buy the biggest I can afford, or in this case, the biggest one they make, because I always seem to end up running out of grill space and wishing I had more.
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Here are a few views of three nice-sized racks of spare ribs, trimmed St. Louis-style with all the leftover pieces being smoked also.

I put all of that meat on a large, and the pics don't even include the sausage I added later on during the cook.

IMG_9254.jpg
    IMG_9256.jpg

BTW, I'm going to get an XL also, and am currently considering a Small BGE.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    For me, I tend to cook for a lot of people and would like a little more space. However, I would like this at different temperatures.

I currently have a large.

There are many times that I would like to cook an appetizer or a side. However if you are slow cooking ribs. The egg will be occupied with a plate setter and running at 225 to 250.

This makes it difficult to do high temp shrimps or potatoes, etc.

If I had it to do again, I would still get the large but would be warming my wife up to have two. Now, I am trying to warm her up to having a small for sides, appetizers and vacations.

This will be a slow process.

Either way, the EGG is a great product that you will really enjoy.

Greg
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    We have 2 larges and a Mini and the ability to do several "types" of cooks at one time is the main reason we went with the 2 grills vr the one Xlarge. As for the Mini I was lucky enough to win that at the Florida Egg Fest a few years ago.

Lazydog B)
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    JR,
    I went through the same torture. I chose the XL. [p]Check with dealer, you maybe able to get the Lge & Sml for the same price as the XL. Advantages of two eggs, one high temp and the other low. Combo will still offer more grid space than XL. Less lump consumption by using Lge or Sml. Running both at the same time will probably eat as much lump as XL. If you have a small family then LGE will probably suit your needs. Large family then combo would work better IMO.[p]Either way you can't go wrong.[p]Good Luck Mike[p]PS You have a few answers to this question on the New Forum. Check out link.

[ul][li]http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=389525&catid=1[/ul]
  • galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    JR,
    I went thru the same thing last year; went with the XL due to grill area. Later learned about the platesetter arrangement on the XL and that the large seems to better suited for indirect cooks. Bought a small mainly for versatility and to take on camping trips.
    If I were to do it over again, I'd get a large and a small. Also there's also just me and my wife, so a large would be plenty. But don't get me wrong, I love them both! Kinda part of the family now..

• lazy
    lazy Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought an XL last month. After researching this forum for a couple months I was sold on the L since the majority of people say those are best for long cooks due to the plate setter of the XL having shorter legs. At the last minute I decided I really only want one grill and I don't want to cook in layers like a lot of people do so I went with the XL to get the max grill space. I also got the spider from TJV (eggcessories.com) so I don't have an issue with the plate setter. I've done 3 low n' slow cooks and they all turned out great. I'm waiting for my gasket to burn out based on all the XL posts stating this has happened to them but I'm hoping I don't run into that problem anytime soon.