Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stir Fry in the EGG (wok-n-roll)

Avocados
Avocados Posts: 465
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa brought me a nice, new 16" Wok and the Spider for my large Egg. (Thanks mom-in-law and http://www.eggaccessories.com )

This is my first chance to give it a try and see how well it works.

Step 1:
Brown some sirloin tips then start simmering in a 50/50 mixture of carmelized soy sauce and sugar (about 1/3 cup each)

beef.jpg

Step 2:
Stir fry some veggies in hot oil - garlic, onion, broccoli, zuchini, baby corn, and water chestnuts.
(throw in some cooking wine after broc to help steam and tender a bit before adding rest of veggies)

veggy.jpg

Step 3:
Stir fry chicken breast (DP Raging River rubbed)in oil, garlic, onion, and shitake mushrooms.

chick.jpg

Step 4:
Throw in a bunch of cashew nuts.

chicknuts.jpg

Step 5:
Add in the vegges and beef from previous steps.
At this point it's great to eat as-is (low carbs) or serve over noodles or rice. But I had a special request so . . .

meatveggy.jpg

Step 6:
Stir in and fry cooked jasmin rice. At this point I usually would also add an egg, and would have included some big shrimp earlier, but again the special request thing from the family (and Mom's egg alergies)

fryrice.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Man that looks delicious.
  • Avocados
    It took less than 30 minutes from start to finish including lighting the egg with the BIG gas torch.

Guess that makes it Egg Fast Food???

With the spider in the down position the wok is down close to the coals and has very high heat across almost all of it's steel surface so it cooks very hot and fast which is excellent for stir fry.

I had always had problems getting enough heat to the entire wok using various gas and electric stove tops over the years.

The Spider can be inverted for lower surface frying temps as well. That puts the top of the wok just up above the felt while still being able to close the wok. Otherwise it is a couple-three inches below.

A set of Orcas, Silicone, or welding gloves close by is handy to have to grab or to remove the wok.

Temperature control (using the bottom damper) while cooking like this with the lid open is much easier than I expected. There is a about a 3/4 inch gap between the wok and the top rim of the fire ring all the way around for airflow.

This setup is a keeper!!!
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Awesome job! I just got a 16" myself and was cruising the net looking for something to try on it! Is there any type of seasoning you have to do to a wok? DAMN that looks GOOD!
    Sly
  • Avocados
    Mine was coated with some type of heavy oil to prevent rust after it was 'hand hammered'

The seasoning instructions where to thouroghy scrub and wash off this oil with hot soapy water and dry completely. I put it in a warm oven at 150 for about 20 min. to dry.

Coat thinly with vegetable oil and heat up the wok until the coating turns dark.

Repeat the last step several times until you have a nearly black shiny surface. Also repeat as needed after using and washing it.
  • Avocados wrote:
    Santa brought me a nice, new 16" Wok and the Spider for my large Egg. (Thanks mom-in-law and http://www.eggaccessories.com )

MAN that looks sweet!
  • Wok Hard !!!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Man, you went right after it! It looks great!
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Great job! I'd like to ask what you have the lower vent set to when you're cooking in the wok. Is it wide open? Also, did you have any airflow issues? It looks like the wok is completely filling up the fire ring in the pics.

Going to have to add some ingredients to the grocery list. Thanks for the great ideas!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    that's a cool pictorial. I love wok cooking but just never seem to find the time anymore. Chicken brocolli and chicken fried rice are my favorite dishes. Enjoy the spider and wok.....

Maybe I need to start a user pictorial page on the accessories site. Tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Avocados
    I started out with the bottom damper wide open but closed it down to a bit over half open for most of the cook.

There is a almost a 3/4 inch gap between the wok and the top rim of the fire ring all the way around. You can't really see the gap in the photos, but it seem to be just right for good airflow and temp control.

I had initially wondered about the level of heat around the work area for hands but it was not a problem at all. Even with the short handled spatula I was using at the time.

It was neccessary to have good heat resistant gloves handy for pulling the hot wok out of the egg and you wanted to grab on to the handles for any reason.

I put three of the little green egg feet close together on my table surface beside the egg and it worked great for holding the wok securely when pulled off the fire.
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Cool...thanks for the reply. I'll be on the lookout for a nice wok like yours. I appreciate the feedback!
  • Avocados
    This is where I got mine http://www.eggaccessories.com/shop-script_premium/index.php?productID=140

I already had a spider from the 'Adjustable Rig' purchased there earlier. I can't wait for the multi-level add on to the adjustable rig that will allow six racks of ribs to sit flat on the Large Egg (not to mention all the wings that it should be able to hold!!)