Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rephrased Mr. Toad Pork Loin Question

Options
dan
dan Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had asked a question about temp probe placement for a Mr. Toad stuffed pork loin but didn't get much of an answer. [p]I did a Mr. Toad pork loin, used a remote temp gauge (a digital one, Taylor brand, supposed to be similar to Polder), pulled it at 140 temp while maintaining a dome temp of 310, and it was under done on the top half of the loin.[p]Where do you put the probe in the loin to get an accurate reading? I put it in the center of the bottom half of the loing. Can I go diagonally through the whole loin or does the stuffing cause problems with the temp reading?[p]Just trying to figure this darn thing out...[p]Dan.[p][p]

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Dan,[p]I placed my probe so that it felt like it was in the middle layer of pork, in the center (lengthwise) of the loin. But then, being quite concerned about doneness with pork, when it first indicated it was done (or actually over-done at 160), I re-measured the temp at another location, again, attempting to stick the middle layer of the pork. Both readings came out the same, so I removed the loin.[p]With indirect "baked" items, I've not had a problem with the top being less done than the bottom. I had wanted to flip this loin, but was distracted, so I didn't do it. Turns out it was unnecessary, as it cooked very evenly from top to bottom (indirect setup), in fact, mine might even have been slightly more cooked on the top.[p]What I would suggest next time, is to take 3 readings. A bottom layer, middle layer and top layer. It'll only take a minute or two, and then I think you'll have all of the information you need to judge for yourself.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Dan.,
    In addition to what sdbelt said, and you probably already know....these probes only read on the tip of the probe itself..you can usually look closely at them and see some kind of difference from the tip to the rest of the probe..mine is approx 1/4 to 3/8 of the tip..HTH[p]Wess