Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked(?) Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somewhere I saw the instructions for cutting the backbone from a whole chicken, flattening it, and then Egging it. Can anyone tell me how long it needs in the Egg? This one is kinda small, a little under 3 pounds.

Comments

• Muthah,[p]Here is the address to the page you want.[p]Thanks to The Naked Whiz :)[p]http://www.geocities.com/thenakedwhiz/spatch.htm[p]Happy Egging... BB[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Muthah,
    I suspect you have started already. Oh well, I do mine about 50 minutes, half and half on each side. The only problem I ever had was I put the chicken over the fire brick (see photo on my webpage) and the part of the chicken over the brick didn't get done. If you use bricks to elevate your grid (it helps flip the chicken, I think), just make sure the chickens are over the fire and not a brick.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    BB,
    I'm cooking this tonight. I brined mine, against the directions on TNW's site. I wonder why he says there is no need to brine with this method; it seems nothing more than direct grilling.

• Frozen Chosen,
    Occaisionally the simple things can produce the greatest results...please let us know your results..I personally have yet to do a spatchcocked chicken..[p]Wess

• Frozen Chosen,[p]I have brined them with great results. I have also injected them with marinade with great results. My next try will be with an overnight buttermilk soak. I hear that stinks when you first put it on the grill... sort of cheesy I imagine .. but I like the tenderizing aspect of it.[p]Let us know how it turns out :)[p]Happy Egging.. BB

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    I have said many times, I see no reason to brine a chicken cooked via this method simply to increase the moistness of the meat. The chickens that I have spatchcocked have come out absolutely dripping. I can see brining for flavor, but how can you want to add moisture to something that is already dripping wet?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Muthah,
    I rubbed the spatchcocked chicken with an Indian rub that I had mixed up myself, let it marinate 30 minutes, brushed it with a good olive oil, and cooked it for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 325. It was beautiful to behold, very moist, and delicious. I turned it skin side down the last 20 minutes. This was a small chicken as chickens go nowadays, weighing in at just under 3 pounds. Been cooking many years, but this chicken was right up there with the best I've ever cooked. Thanks for all your advice, and to the Naked Whiz for the great pics showing how to do this.