Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Tankless Water Heaters

Options
ShortRIb
ShortRIb Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know a question about the tankless water systems was posted a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone have that link? Or, would anyone like to comment on whether the like them or not?
Thanks

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I participated in that discussion. It might have been deleted because it was an OT post.

In reading the data I'm definitely inclined to replace my "tank" water heater with a gas "tankless" one. The initial expense may be greater but the end result will be better, and probably cheaper.

But I'm thinking of going a step further and installing a small 2.5 Gal point of use water heater in the kitchen, primarily because it is so far from the main water heater that I generally waste a LOT of water waiting for it to heat up only to use a very small amount once it gets there. With the under-sink tank I can have the hot water I usually need within seconds. It's about $150 and easily installed.

I Think I can install the tankless water heater too. I've looked at the specs and there's really nothing unusual about it. Mostly some piping modifications but that's a piece 'a cake.

Finally, the next time I'm in the attic I think I will put insulation around all my pipes (yes, our pipes and water heater is in the attic). Then I'll blow in some more insulation to REALLY save on heating/cooling costs.

You can Google "Tankless water heaters" and get some really good info.

Good luck.

Spring "Been Red Going Green" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Carbonizer
    Options
    Somethings to consider when thinking about tankless--

Vent must be Cat III stainless which will cost about $200, you cannot combine the tankless vent with an atmospheric vent from a furnace so thru the wall venting will probably be required. Can you cut a hole in the side of your house, or do you not want to?

If you live in a cold climate, in the winter you will need to have a tempature rise across the heater of about 80 degrees ( 40 deg in / 120 out) at that temp rise with a 199,000 btu heater you will only get about 3.5 GPM of 120 deg water. Normal showers use 2.5 gpm of which 80% or so will be hot water with 20% cold to mix it to 105 deg for a shower. A 199,000 btu model might not be able to deliver for 2 showers at the same time.

If you have a large tub with a 3/4" tub filler forget it. My tub filler is 21 GPM so tankless here wont work.

The condensate from the unit is acidic. If there is no other flow to the drain you are using this can lead to destroying metallic piping. PVC should be ok though.

BTW the 2.5 gal heater SC mentioned is probably electric so a vent isn't needed.

Hope this info helps.
  • ShortRIb
    Options
    Thanks, I am building a house from the foundation up. Live in the South. So I am looking over options and need some opinions. I appreciate your help!